Stepper Motor

Donal Hogan

Hello,

I'm an automation student and part of my final year project is designing and building an automated storage and retrieval system. I'm using Unitronics V570 which is totally new to me so I've to get familiar with Unitronics firstly. I was going to use a 24v DC motor with position encoder and I was thinking of using a stepper motor aswell but I'm not sure if this is relatively easy to implement with the PLC. My question is, if it is possible to use both these methods is there videos on setting up and configuring and maybe a sample code for both that would get me started.

Thanks in advance

Donal.

Hello Donal,

Thank you for using our Unitronics Forum.

This can definitely be achievable with Unitronics equipment. 

For controlling a stepper motor, please refer to our PTO Programming webinar at www.unitronics.com/support/webinars/pto.  Also, we have example programs of programming stepper motors within VisiLogic.  Please navigate to the help tab within VisiLogic and select "Examples...", then in the pop-up directory: Version 900>Project Examples>HSC_HSO or the PTO folder will have these examples. 

Also, there are many other webinars on examples of using VisiLogic on the webinars page of website.  www.unitronics.com/support/webinars

For the encoder, you can simply attach the A and B signal wires to the high speed inputs of an I/O module that supports a shaft encoder.  When setting up the high speed inputs in the hardware configurator, you will be able to select the option of a shaft encoder.  Please refer to the installation guide and technical specifications sheet of your I/O module for more information on how to wire the device.

Hope this helps!