SD User Application Swap

bpond

Has anyone seen a quick work-up on swapping the user application on the PLC using an SD card.

The "Clone from SD" function in the VisiLogic information mode has been a life-saver in the past and I'm working on trying to create a clone SD card to send to a customer to upgrade their PLC.

Thank you for the response.  Switching to a flash stick worked.

Can I share a few annoying things about that answer?

First, that topic was only recently added to the help. Unitronics did this on this platform before when they introduced it without proper timer support and magically fixed it later.  When you guys fix things on the wish list for this platform and then stick them in un-documented updates, you make the users in the field look like idiots for not knowing simple stuff.  Also, it makes it super hard to support a product if I have to tell my customers to update UniStream on their PC every time an issue comes up with their PLC.  

Secondly, not being able to support a clone or firmware update on an SD card makes the SD card somewhat of a useless necessity.  I can't put a 100kB .pdf on the PLC without it, but can't use it for anything else the PLC can't do by e-mail.

Lastly, after packing the PLC in an enclosure, it is 200% easier to swap an SD card than find a USB stick that will fit in the slot without removing EVERYTHING.

I apologize that every time I'm on this forum, it's to complain about the system being annoyingly incomplete.  I would like to be contributing more positively, but moving to UniStream has been like buying a new Ferrari and finding out halfway down the racetrack that the manufacturer decided the car didn't need a hand-brake because they needed to get it to market and the driver won't use the hand-brake most of the time anyway.

It took me 1/2 the time to write the same program for Unistream as it did for the VisiLogic controller.  I'm annoyed that any time savings is eaten up and then some having to come up with a work-around when I discover the features I relied on are not there.

Hi bpond  :) 

First of all, I'd like to address the original issue of the SD Card and cloning. I want to start with a few words regarding the platforms.

I certainly understand that there is a certain expectation that features offered in one product line will be offered in another, and this, I think, is true to a large degree—Vision supports Data Tables, auto-tuned PID, and as of the last UniStream version, both offer built-in Alarms….

However, the basic underpinnings of the product lines are very different. This is why UniStream offers virtually unlimited sockets instead of the 4 offered by Vision, why UniStream is accessible via VNC client instead of requiring a special Remote Access utility, why UniLogic supports UDFBs, drag & drop Web page design with user controls and widgets just like the HMI editor….etc

So. SD Cards.

The UniStream SD card is used by the controller for many, many services: Trends, Alarms, Data Tables and more. Unless you are troubleshooting an application, the card really needs to remain in the slot. For this reason, the SD card will not provide the sort of service for UniStream that it did in Vision.
Instead, these will be served by a DOK via the USB slots, which are located right next to the SD card slot. I understand that some DOKs are hard (even impossible) to insert in close confines (I've run into that in other devices, and it is annoying.)

Still, we decided to provide functionality via DOK because of user requests--we actually consider it to be an improvement....

> First, that topic was only recently added to the help.<
Ok—this is my area of responsibility so yes; the topic is indeed recent. It was created in March, and shipped with a subsequent update. I also have to personally apologize for the timer topic. It had been tagged 'in progress' and therefore was not included in the build—a bad oversight. We do try to document changes, in the What's New—but this was not a new feature. Up until now, changes in the Help file are very, very rarely included in the What's New; I may need to reconsider that.

The Help currently has a topic called UniLogic Features not in VisiLogic, which I intended to help Vision users. I have now renamed that topic VisiLogic/Vision, UniStream/UniLogic, and I have addressed the SD and cloning issue. The update will be released with the next version. I will add any other similar issues to it as needed, and suggestions are welcome  :)  

> I apologize that every time I'm on this forum, it's to complain<

Hey—that's OK. Over the years, I've seen some great features result from that. Complaints are valid, and often are valuable feedback!

Please feel free to post in the forum and to write to Tech Support as needed. That is why they exist :) 

Cara

• Upvote 1