Forum speed

OLAF

Hello,

Not to complain, but is there a reason why upates of posts are taking so extremely long?

I make a post when I am in sh*t, have then to wait almost 1 day before my own post is online, another day for the first answer....this is getting a bit tough, cause - tja - I am still in sh*t with my problem.

Is there a way to make this all a bit more fluent?

Thanks!

Olaf

• MVP 2014

IMHO, if you need urgent and immediate support I would contact your local Unitronics representative, or email directly to support@unitronics.com (depending on your relationship with your local distributor, it is nice to let them know if you contact Uni HQ directly).

Some of us moderators are volunteers, and we get to the task as soon as possible. I have also found that the new forum makes it a little harder to see that a post is awaiting moderation, so they are easy to miss.. I have already fed that back to Unitronics to see if something can be done.

FWIW I would rather the team at Unitronics put forum moderation at least 3rd in their priorities.

1. make great products

2. answer their direct emails

3. moderate forum posts.

Hello Simon,

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Allow me two comments:

1) We do have a very reasonable (!) distributor for Unitronics here, but they are also distributing lots of other products. They are capabable of solving hardware issues, but are not the correct adress for software related problems.

2) I see the main advantage of such a forum in open discussions, open to everyone that may be in the same situation, even months later. I have already been spending hours in front of the old forum and found solutions in posts that were years old.

Olaf

P.S.: What is FWIW standing for?

• MVP 2014

Hi Olaf - FWIW = "For What It's Worth" - in other words, saying "this is just a suggestion, my opinion only, not intended to to start a major argument"

You are right that the forum is great for solving immediate problems as well as providing an archive that continues to help users long after the original problem was solved. However I would still say some form of direct contact is a wise move if you need an immediate answer. If the solution is obtained directly rather than through the forum, it is always possible to then post the solution back to the forum afterward.

I guess the bottom line is that the forum is intended to be as responsive as possible, but not always in "real time".

• 2 weeks later...

Was the old forum moderated like this? I remember seeing things pretty quickly, if not immediately.

Which begs the question- if it wasn't that much of a problem, why 'fix' it? There are plenty of online forums where the moderators come after the fact and delete posts or make changes where the rules have been violated.

That would allow for immediate discussion amongst members but still allow the mods to keep the quality up.

• MVP 2014

The old forum required moderation of all posts. Part of the issue has been learning the layout and behaviour of the new forum. Once everyone is familiar with it, I see no reason why it will be any slower than the old forum.

As for the policy about whether to allow immediate posting by all members, that's up to Unitronics.

The old forum required moderation of all posts. Part of the issue has been learning the layout and behaviour of the new forum. Once everyone is familiar with it, I see no reason why it will be any slower than the old forum.

As for the policy about whether to allow immediate posting by all members, that's up to Unitronics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main reason behind the moderation is to eliminate the SPAM posts.

Probably the second highest reason is to make sure people are "watching their mouths" so to speak.

What would be nice is for those of us whom use the forum often and without incident eventually attain a rating (user level) that means we can for the most part be trusted and no longer require that our each and every posts get moderated.

Once someone has posted 50+ times without abuse it would seem a fair bet that you could "slack the rope" a little.

Another possibility is maybe you could have users with higher priveleges based on tighter screening (interview, registration, waiting period) etc.

Just some ideas to throw out there.

• 1 month later...
Guest gsxr1000au

Having a "Respected Member" user level that allows posting without moderation.

I'll 3rd that. (although by the time my post shows up it will probably won't be 3rd anymore:blink: )

Having to wait for posts to show is VERY frustrating.

I'm sorry guys--yes, we have to have a moderated forum.

Apart from the usual spam, we have come under cyberattack a few times specificall because we are an Israel-based company. Pretty pathetic, isn't it?

We really have no choice but to moderate. I apologise if this is inconvenient at times; I will look into possible solutions.