V120 and Calculate Motor Speed

The easiest way is to set in Hardware configuration I0 as high Speed counter. In the second line, you can define operand (MI) for frequency measurement. See relevant help topic for details.

In selected MI you will receive the number of pulses per second - Hz. Then, you need to multiply the this result by 60 to receive the number of pulses per minute. Then, you need to divide this result by the number of pulses your plate gives per revoluiton. The final reult will be in RPM (Revolutions per minute).

What is the expected range of results?

How many pulses gives your disk per revolution?

What is the presision needed?

Just note - Enhanced Vision models (for example V130) support special function Frequency measurements. It gives the frequency with resolution and precision of 0.01Hz.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 years later...
On 1/15/2012 at 4:11 PM, Emil said:

The easiest way is to set in Hardware configuration I0 as high Speed counter. In the second line, you can define operand (MI) for frequency measurement. See relevant help topic for details.

In selected MI you will receive the number of pulses per second - Hz. Then, you need to multiply the this result by 60 to receive the number of pulses per minute. Then, you need to divide this result by the number of pulses your plate gives per revoluiton. The final reult will be in RPM (Revolutions per minute).

What is the expected range of results?

How many pulses gives your disk per revolution?

What is the presision needed?

Just note - Enhanced Vision models (for example V130) support special function Frequency measurements. It gives the frequency with resolution and precision of 0.01Hz.

greeatings . have you some examples , i need to measuring rpm its for me feedback for pid.

19 hours ago, Joe Tauser said:

This post was started for a V120, which has limited features.  What family of PLC are you working with?

Joe T.

I vvork vvith vision 1210 , and I have expansion module like iodi16-to16.
On input I52 I 53 I have high speed input. on this input i vvire one pnp or npn sensor ,I have disk vvith 12 pulses per revolution ,
I need to calculate rpm and this information is feedback for PID.