Operands stored on SD card

• MVP 2023

I have a situation where I am installing software on several different V570 PLCs - the software is the same but there are certain configuration variables that are different for each machine. I thought I could save some time while at the customer site by installing the software on a V570 PLC I have here, configure the PLC, store the Operands by downloading to the SD card and repeat for each configuration. Then I would do the upload at the customer site to quickly configure each PLC. While testing this out I find it works well, but only under a very specific situation. When I upload the Operands to the PLC from the SD card, they are totally ignored unless I Initialize the PLC first. Not only must I Initialize the PLC, but it must be done from INFO Mode on the PLC. Initializing from the Connection menu item in Visilogic will not work - yes it Initializes the PLC, but the Operand upload is still ignored.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

By the way, I am using Visilogic 9.4.0 on a Windows 7, 64-bit laptop, and new V570 PLCs with up-to-date firmware.

• MVP 2023

I use Remote Access and the "Save to Excel" function to store the value of the operands. Then reverse the process to load specific blocks of operands into memory locations in the PLC.

I really, really, really wish this functionality would be added to Visilogic. I've asked for it a bunch of times.

Joe T.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

I greatly appreciate the followup on this, but I'm still a bit confused. Is the answer that the Operand upload from an SD card feature has a bug and that it is now resolved in Visilogic 9.5.0? If so, is there a practical workaround for programs written with Visilogic 9.4.0?

• MVP 2023

And for completeness, we should note that the operand upload/download feature has been added to Visilogic 9.5.0.

Simon, you beat me to it. If I may expand, I would like to sing praise from mountains on high that we finally can back up our data as part of the program!

Cara - it doesn't need to be in Excel. It just needs to be, and now it is. Why didn't you tell us this was coming?

Joe T.

• MVP 2014

Hi Flex727,

No, the feature I commented on is new, not related your reported problem with the SD card. Se the release notes for V9.5.0 for more details.

However it does provide you with an alternative to using the SD card - you can now take all the operand values and save them to a file (an excel file) and then re-load them into a new PLC, all from within Visilogic.

Nonetheless, I still think Unitronics should attend to the issue regarding SD cards, as that is also a good option if you don't want to connect with a PC.

I welcome you Guru Unitronics.

Please tell me where you can find a description of the files with the extension *. Utr (encrypted data charts)?

I need to figure out how I can read the file with html, and the plots in a web browser. To create a web server, I plan to use Enhanced Vision PLC WebServer (Web Server Application V350.vlp).

Will be important for me any information. :blink:

Sorry for my english. :rolleyes:

Simon, you beat me to it. If I may expand, I would like to sing praise from mountains on high that we finally can back up our data as part of the program!

Cara - it doesn't need to be in Excel. It just needs to be, and now it is. Why didn't you tell us this was coming?

Joe T.

Well, it is in the What's New :-)

I'm glad that Excel format isn't a major issue.

I'm waiting for you to upload a hosanna or two. No old school midi files, please--I expect 3-part harmony at least :P

I greatly appreciate the followup on this, but I'm still a bit confused. Is the answer that the Operand upload from an SD card feature has a bug and that it is now resolved in Visilogic 9.5.0? If so, is there a practical workaround for programs written with Visilogic 9.4.0?

As my guru buddy R.Moses wrote, yep, it's a bug.

Until we issue a new OS, save the values again after the power up scan.

I welcome you Guru Unitronics.

Please tell me where you can find a description of the files with the extension *. Utr (encrypted data charts)?

I need to figure out how I can read the file with html, and the plots in a web browser. To create a web server, I plan to use Enhanced Vision PLC WebServer (Web Server Application V350.vlp).

Will be important for me any information. :blink:

Sorry for my english. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm not in the theme you ask? :(

Hi,

UTR files can be opened only using SD card manager (under SD card Suite).

Basically if the UTR file is stored in the SD card in the TREND folder then you can creata a link to download the UTR file from the webpage.

Another option is to use Javascript which will create a graph on the webpage according to the operand value. (This probably will require Html/Javascript expert)

Hi,

UTR files can be opened only using SD card manager (under SD card Suite).

Basically if the UTR file is stored in the SD card in the TREND folder then you can creata a link to download the UTR file from the webpage.

Another option is to use Javascript which will create a graph on the webpage according to the operand value. (This probably will require Html/Javascript expert)

So for me to Javascript and need to know the file format. And to understand its function.

Hi,

JavaScript will be good for viewing live data.

If you wish to view the history of the Trend saved on the UTR file then you can create a link to the file and then download the file to the PC and view it using SD card manager.

The customer wants to see the trends in real time. And view the history of a trend over the web, without using other applications. Because he will do it with a mobile phone

• MVP 2023

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm still not understanding the workaround. Cara, you said, "Until we issue a new OS, save the values again after the power up scan." I don't understand what this means - EVERY scan is after the power up scan. Furthermore, saving the values doesn't appear to be the problem (at least a file is created, though maybe it's garbage), it appears to me to be the upload to PLC that's not working correctly. Perhaps my understanding of the issue is faulty - can you explain in more detail?

This issue is important to me and I need to understand exactly what is going on. I have a number of PLCs at customer sites with very specific configurations that would be very difficult to reproduce manually. I have always saved the operands to the SD card (along with the application, etc) in the event of some catastrophe to allow the customer to return his PLC, new or otherwise, to the correct state quickly. Are those operand files flawed, or do I need a specific upload procedure?

The customer wants to see the trends in real time. And view the history of a trend over the web, without using other applications. Because he will do it with a mobile phone

I can not understand, there is a description of the file format UTR? Maybe what that means to read it using JavaScript.

• MVP 2023

I can not understand, there is a description of the file format UTR? Maybe what that means to read it using JavaScript.

There have been requests for a Unitronics mobile app but as of now it doesn't exist.

The trend UTR file format is proprietary. There are some things the Creators won't give up, this being one of them.

You could store the trended data to a csv file on the SD card using the SD Excel utilities and extract it from there. You could also write the data to a data table and read it that way.

Look at the PCOM Protocol description to see if there's something you can utilize.

Joe T.

Hi,

About *.UTR and other files on SD:

These files are compressed, especially information about headers, to make this information as compact as possible.

Unitronics does provide set of utilites to convert such files to Excel format for further graphing.

Unitronics does not develop mobile applications, but such applications may be developed by 3rd party.

Keep looking "http://www.unitronic...ird-party_Utils" at Unitronics Support site, or google for required topics.

BR.