Alarm Reset

Hi,

Reset and Acknowledge bits are outputs, and changed to ‘1’ when corresponding buttons of Alarm screen pressed.

Alarms support is embedded into OS, and there is no access to Reset and Acknowledge button bits.

The meaning of such design is to bring operator attention and lead to action.

BR.

Guest gsxr1000au

I dont see why an external reset button cant be allowed? This still requires the operators attention. Surely the programmer should have the option whether to use the internal reset on HMI or an external reset to clear the alarms. 

Hi,

You can protect by password Reset and Acknowledge operations.

Anybody can push external button and reset/acknowledge alarm.

The meaning of such design is to bring REAL operator attention, and sometime keep a record who did reset/acknowledge of alarm.

This is a requirement of standards for specific industries.

BR.

Guest gsxr1000au

I know you can password protect reset and acknowledge operations. I do want anybody to be able to push an external reset button (only authorised people have access to the reset push button already).

Again, the programmer should have the option of how alarms are acknowledged and reset. Restricting flexibility in programming options diminishes the value of the product.

Guest gsxr1000au

I also want this available so I can reset alamrs from a central control location without having to attand the local HMI. This is all really all irrelevant. The programmer should have the flexibility to choose remote reset if they so desire. As I said. Restrictens like this and many others devalue the product.. I have used Unitronics equient for many years and have mostly used 3rd party HMI panels becasue of such issues as these. I decided on this project to try Unitronics panels for controls and am finding I am spending a lot more time programming to acheive the results that are eaaily achieved on 3rd party panels. Now it looks like I am going to have to abandon the inbuilt alarm feature and program my own data table based system for alarm recording....

This is one reason why I do not use the built-in alarm feature although I'd like to use the time stamping alarm duration features that come with it. We have applications where alarms need to be reset remotely via SMS. These alarms are often process values that can go temporarily out of specification.  They do not pose any hazard and they can be checked remotely to see if they are back in tolerance before resetting the alarm, without an operator having to travel many kilometres to site.

• MVP 2014

Reset alarm even without you see it?

Hi Emil,

I have received this request before, for reset of alarm by a method other than the HMI/keypad.  The point is that there is no-one there to see the alarm in the first place, as many of these systems are remotely controlled.  For example the alarm may be sent out via SMS. 

If the alarm could be cleared by setting a bit, it could be done via SMS, direct digital input or SCADA system.  it would be up to the system designer to ensure the appropriate procedures were in place to record and track the alarm events.

Based on some of the from Alex:

The meaning of such design is to bring REAL operator attention, and sometime keep a record who did reset/acknowledge of alarm.

This is a requirement of standards for specific industries.

It seems you have a specific industry in mind.  However the restrictions imposed by this do limit the usefulness of the built-in alarms for other industries.

Hi all

I too would like to be able to reset alarms remotely.

The priority tab in the alarm configuration could be used as method to satisfy both arguments.

Low to medium priority could be reset remotely and high to critical would need an operator to be present.

In this way the programmer can define which alarms he wants the operator to be present for while being reset.

Regards

Denis