UniLogics

lawry

• MVP 2023

Can someone write a paragraph or two about UniLogics? What I primarily want to know (something press releases seem to never address) is why I would want to use this over the other Unitronics offerings. What are the advantages? Are there any disadvantages? Are there significant differences in the programming software? Any limitations we had before now being alleviated (for example, 4 sockets for IP communications, etc)?

Another thing I'd like to know, have the problems associated with higher resolution screens been addressed? I've been working a lot recently with the V1210 and have been struggling with the extreme slowness of the Visilogic software when attempting to edit complex HMI screens and also the PLC itself exhibits obvious indications that the processor can't keep up with manipulating 480,000 pixels (slow response and slow screen updates).

• MVP 2023

My take on the new platform so far.....

UniStream/Unilogix is an awesome product for the power user.  

The first difference is the memory structure - gone are pre-defined tables of MBs, MIs, etc.  It is tag based and you make whatever you want, how many you want.  Each tag can be a single instance of any data type or an array of types.  Types can be combined into structure variables that can then be used as an object and as many of those tags can be used.  For example, you could define a type "oven" which contains an array of bits and an array of integers that would be everything you need for an oven - setpoint, PV, alarms, and so on.  Then you if you have five ovens you can use to "oven" type to create five oven objects, with each parameter accessed like Oven1.setpoint.  The need to wrap long rungs is also gone - if you get carried away you will have to zoom out to see your whole rung.

For those of us used to the old ways, there is an option to have the software create a default set of tags with the same names as the current memory - MB0..MB8191, MI0..MI0..MI4095 and so on.  

We don't have to write our own communications handling anymore.  Modbus and CANbus are set up in tables and the addresses you want to read and write are defined in the tables.  The new O/S handles all the handshaking and timing.  If you have communication in your application the need to write your logic using status bits and individual read and write blocks is gone.  It's just flat out easy to set up communications.

It has two Ethernet ports and a USB host port.  I don't know what the upper limit on sockets is, but it's a lot more than four.

I didn't do any heavy lifting on the screen, but I also didn't notice any lag on what I did. 

I have one of the early units and I'll try to answer what questions I can.  You'll have to draw your own conclusions as to when to use it - my initial opinion is in a communication-heavy data application.    

Post them as new topics under this subforum for now.

Joe T. 

• Upvote 1

• MVP 2014

Joe has provided an excellent summary.

Unitronics will continue with the existing product range, and in my thinking, for smaller systems the V130/V350 will still be the first choice.  For larger screen sizes, we will have the option of Vision or UniStream.

The UniStream is a re-creation of the Unitronics concept using current technology that is available now.  As a result it will have many improvements over the Vision/Visilogic platform and will also do certain things that the Vision families cannot do.  Joe has summarised some of these points.

As you get to know the UniStream product in greater detail, it will become clearer which applications will require it.  In certain applications you may have the choice to use UniStream or Vision, and the decision must be made on the relevant factors for that application.

Joe,

You mentioned CANbus is set up in tables and the addresses you want to read and write are defined in the tables.  Also that the new O/S handles all the handshaking and timing. If you are to setup I/O drops with EX-RC1 modules to use existing modules, what is required in the way of software in the EX-RC1 to work with the tables in the UniStream?

Does anyone know if there is a way to export a program or at least a subroutine from Visilogic and import it into Unilogics? Also, is it possible to do the same with HMI Screens? I have a rather elaborate program that was created in Visilogic which is part of a standard product line of ours and I would like to use UniStream for this application but I do not want to have to start over again with Unistream so any sort of shortcut would be helpful.

• MVP 2023

John - good question.  As soon as I figure out how to unlock my UniStream after trying to update the Beta BIN files I'll connect to an RC1 and give it a whirl.

The Creators have been partying all month so it's taken a couple of weeks to get my O/S problem addressed-

http://punktorah.org/jewish-holidays-2013-2014/?gclid=CLO3ze2h77kCFcxAMgodxncA3g

They've been working really hard on the UniStream.  I think they deserve a little break.

jahauser - no conversion utility exists at this time.  That was one of my first questions.  I feel your pain.

Joe T.

Hi guys!!!!

Yes, we have been in the fall holiday cycle here--but we're back :-)

A separate forum will be published shortly, and we will begin fielding questions shortly--apologies for the delay (but those long weekends were sooo nice :-))

In the meantime--check out our Youtube channel. There are general overview videos, and training clips for specific topics--feedback VERY WELCOME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/UnitronicsWebinars

Joe,

You mentioned CANbus is set up in tables and the addresses you want to read and write are defined in the tables.  Also that the new O/S handles all the handshaking and timing. If you are to setup I/O drops with EX-RC1 modules to use existing modules, what is required in the way of software in the EX-RC1 to work with the tables in the UniStream?

We created a video about EX-RC1--but please look at the other videos in the UniLogic playlist first, or it will be a bit confusing!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnEBvSqhks&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLFBq_OH6_be7snAZAycZzQMvAWjHkX9Pz

It is also dealt with in the UniLogic Help  in the topic: Remote I/Os: via EX-RC1

I have tried to intall the unilogics software on my personal PC 4 times, first time I ended up changing the UAC since I use vista. Now it gives me this same message. Each time I uninstall everything and redownload it, then install again. Once it's done and I say yes start unilogics, I get this message. Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded and installed on a laptop that also had vista with no problems.

post-18334-0-35336200-1380684049_thumb.jpg

We're going to need some example projects quickly.

I couldn't get it installed on WinXP SP3 but it did install ok on my Win7 machine.

:)

Ok--to answer the first part of your post:

Example applications may be downloaded from here:

http://www.unitronics.com/Downloads/Support/UniLogic/UniLogic%20Example%20Projects.zip

About your installation issue, I asked the Support gurus to contact you; if that doesn't happen, please ping me :-)

• 2 weeks later...