Perotocol TCP and Allen Bradley IP Protocol

AB Micrologix devices use Ethernet/IP (explicit with PCCC encapsulation) on the Ethernet port. Unitronics does not support this, instead, they support ModbusTCP.

Which Micrologix? The 1100 will only do explicit Ethernet/IP messaging, but the 1400 will do a raw protocol as well. I suppose you could write your own protocol between the two devices, but that would be a fair amount of work using the 'raw port' (my words) capability of each device.

Suggestions:

1. Buy protocol converter. There are many and they cost a few hundred dollars (and up).

2. Use serial - I think Unitronics supports DF1 on serial, so that should work (never used it).

3. AB supports Modbus on serial, so use serial with Modbus.

4. Convince Unitronics to support Ethernet/IP (I would like this, too).

5. Convince AB to support ModbusTCP. Good luck! The Logix5000 series support it in code.

6. Write your own protocol and use it over TCP/IP using the raw ports capability of a 1400 and Unitronics devices

7. I am sure I missed some...

AB Micrologix devices use Ethernet/IP (explicit with PCCC encapsulation) on the Ethernet port. Unitronics does not support this, instead, they support ModbusTCP.

Which Micrologix? The 1100 will only do explicit Ethernet/IP messaging, but the 1400 will do a raw protocol as well. I suppose you could write your own protocol between the two devices, but that would be a fair amount of work using the 'raw port' (my words) capability of each device.

Suggestions:

1. Buy protocol converter. There are many and they cost a few hundred dollars (and up).

2. Use serial - I think Unitronics supports DF1 on serial, so that should work (never used it).

3. AB supports Modbus on serial, so use serial with Modbus.

4. Convince Unitronics to support Ethernet/IP (I would like this, too).

5. Convince AB to support ModbusTCP. Good luck! The Logix5000 series support it in code.

6. Write your own protocol and use it over TCP/IP using the raw ports capability of a 1400 and Unitronics devices

7. I am sure I missed some...

Hi Bill,

Can you please explain what you meant by "The Logix5000 series support it in code"?

Thanks,

Damian

Hi Bill,

Can you please explain what you meant by "The Logix5000 series support it in code"?

Thanks,

Damian

The Rockwell samplecode website has code for Modbus. I have looked at it in the past, but never used it. I dug it up again and see that it is serial only, so no ModbusTCP support. My number 5 is in error, so it becomes:

The Rockwell samplecode website has code for Modbus. I have looked at it in the past, but never used it. I dug it up again and see that it is serial only, so no ModbusTCP support. My number 5 is in error, so it becomes:

Hi Bill,

I have used the Modbus routine you speak of for the compact logix and a serial connection. In fact I used it to communicate to a V570 and it has worked really well. I will never understand why they don't make a real fucntion block out of it and be done with it. I have often wondered why someone couldn't make it work for Modbus/TCP using almost all the same code. It looks like it is mostly the lack of ability to handle "socket" connections. It irks me to no end that my L35E and the V570 are both connected by etherenet to the same switch and I still needed a serial cable between the two to achieve communication. Hopefully someone sufficiently clever and endowed with lots of free time will figure it out some day.

Damian