What is the error being displayed? The link does not work.

We recommend running our software as an administrator. If this setting is not applied then it can cause communications to not be established and will display a run time error.

To run the software as an administrator for Windows (Vista, 7, and 8) use the following steps:

·         Close VisiLogic

·         Right click on the VisiLogic and select properties

·         Navigate to the Compatibility tab

·         Select the box for Run this program as an administrator, and select apply

·         VisiLogic can then be opened with the new settings

• MVP 2023

As well as the above, I would ensure that your unit is working correctly on something else.

I know that there can be major issues getting some usb converters to work correctly due to the PL2303 drivers being changed slightly to counter all the forgeries around.  It is often a case of chasing around and finding the ones that will work by trial and error.....there are myriad differences and often it is very painful getting windows to constantly use them correctly and get rid of the duds.

I always try and use genuine Prolific products, which are badge engineered into a multitude of names.

This site is helpful and explains a lot:    http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023

+1 on Alexander's "Run As Administrator" instructions.  It won't work if you don't do this in Win 7 or 8.

This is not an official Unitronics recommendation, but I usually get my -CS35 USB to serial converter PL2303 driver from the source:

http://www.prolific.com.tw

You have to login as a guest - GUEST:GUEST.  They do a good job of keeping up with the windows updates.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

+1 to Joe and his driver link.  I always get them from there for the same reasons.

My first post was detailing what can happen with non-genuine stuff.  If you need to go down the path of finding drivers that work, you probably have a non-genuine.  It is well worth ditching it for the real thing to prevent major headaches later.

cheers,

Aus

I have two USB serial adapters, but none of them worked.

here they are:

Erro3.jpg

Everything seems to be ok with the drivers because it does not appear the exclamation mark.

When I try to download the program in VisiLogic, it appears that:

For the first adapter:

Erro.jpg

With the second I can make up some PLC reading data, such as the serial baud rate and put it run or stop.

But when I try to download the program, the process is stopped halfway:

Erro2.jpg

I appreciate any help.

• MVP 2023

Another thought is that I occasionally have to go into Device Manager, and match the baud rate there to what is being used in Visilogic...normally 57600.  This seems to vary between computer systems, all with Visilogic being run as Admin.

The fact that you have 2 adapters in use might also be causing issues, with conflicts arising.  I have had many occasions where a new device or different PLC programming system has added in, without asking, a different driver that completely wrecks previously perfect connections, even though DM reports everything as OK.  If you look hard you will likely find all sorts of drivers in your system for the adapters.  I have found this program invaluable at finding and deleting problem drivers:

http://www.pro-it-education.de/software/deviceremover/

Edit March 18 2017: I have discovered this link doesn't work anymore.  Can now be found here:  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Device-Remover.shtml

You can then start from scratch using known good, safe in the knowledge that nothing bad is possibly left to interfere with things.  Try to ascertain if your adapters are genuine Prolific based before reinstalling anything.  The imitations are notorious for doing exactly the sort of thing you describe....connections that work a little.  It can be a real headache getting rid of them and that program is your friend.  System restore doesn't always get things back correctly, either.  You have to ensure that the bad ones are totally out of the system.

Finally, what model PLC is it, as you might be able to use ethernet?  If not, maybe you've got an older computer system with a real serial port, stored away and forgotten in the cupboard!?

cheers,

Aus

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

I think the software Aus recommends probably addresses the invisible 800 pound gorilla on many computers - multiple installations of the same USB device assigned to different COM ports.  Troubleshooting this can be maddening.  Do a Google search for the environment variable "show non-present devices" - you can set this from a command line and then "view hidden devices" in the Device Manager and you may see many installations of the same thing.  Delete them all, then install a fresh copy.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

True enough, Joe.  That gets rid of the multiple instances, which I agree is infuriating....another Windoze quirk.  I cannot understand how something so elementary as reassigning the same thing another port number if it gets plugged in somewhere else on the same puter got through the development stage, let alone into the finished product.  It should at least be a user choice type thing during installation, to cover the unusual possibility of wanting to run two or more instances.

My issues in the past have also been my (older) collection of 485 and 232 usb converters putting various dud drivers into the driver store, without any really user friendly way of deleting them.  Windows then decides that it will use...............THIS one!   And if it is a dud, things go kaputsky.  You can do tedious manual searches looking for particular names, or strings within the driver files, but that program makes it so much easier.  It is powerful, however, so use carefully.

These days I only use Shentek converters, never had any issues. They have good isolation as well, and the higher cost is repaid quickly through having such a reliable connection.

cheers,

Aus