8.6.3 and 9.0.1 compatibility

I cannot load a 9.0.1 clone file onto a machine running an 8.6.3 clone file or a pre-9.0.1 PLC boot file. It will not load. Also, if I attempt to load an 8.6.3 clone file onto a machine running a 9.0.1 clone file, the PLC goes into stop mode and display a manufacturer's system screen. Why the compatibility issues? I cannot adopt 9.0.1 until these compatibility issues are resolved. The PLC I was using for software development has been mothballed until this is resolved. Luckily, I have an older PLC that I could load the 8.6.3 clone file and has the old PLC boot file.:(:(

Hi Paul,

If you wish load clone file or application from VisiLogic 9.0.1, you must first update the system files (BinLib, Boot and OS)to the controller of VisiLogic 9.0.1.

Same if you are using VisiLogic 8.6.3, if you wish to load clone file or application the PLC must contain the system files of VisiLogic 8.6.3

Hi Ofir,

I thought that loading the OS is one of the tasks of cloning itself. I mean, if I'm cloning an oplc programmed with v.9.0.1 (and dedicated OS) into an oplc holding an older OS that oplc will then hold the recent OS because of cloning.

I was also the meaning that this also would be possible in other direction (cloning a oplc programmed by e.g. v.8.6.1 into an oplc holding a more recent OS, then OS of cloned oplc would get downgraded).

Am I wrong?

Hi Roland,

Indeed the clone file contains also the OS but it does not contain the BinLib and Boot.

When upgrading from VisiLogic 8.6.3 to 9.0.1, you must update also the BinLib and Boot. (Same for vice versa)

There is no option to clone boot and BinLib since the SD card works on those layers.

After you already updated the system files, next time you wish to update a new OS and application you can use the clone file.

Thank you, Ofir. So, for my understanding, updating of boot and BinLib is only required when switching between big release steps (eg. Visilogic v.8. to v.9. or v.7. to v.8. or vice versa). In other case (VisiLogic v.8.1.0.1 to v.8.6.0.1) cloning via SD supposed to work without any complain. Is this correct?

thats my last question. I'm just wondering about my long term misapprehension.

Since cloning via SD card is possible, I was assuming that this feature was ment to "freeze" a whole oplc's image. So that you could downgrade any more recent oplc to the status of the clone image if you do an upload on it.

Cloning transfers all the data and files in the PLC including the OS but not the including Bin Lib and Boot.

Therefore, if there is a mismatch with these files, you are required to download them manually via VisiLogic.

Hi Stein, Emil, Cara........

Is there are reason for doing this way? In reality, the whole point of cloning is so that someone using only the SD card can get a new PLC to act identical to their replacement without having to hook up with a computer. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of it all. Why not have it clone everything? Is it just physically impossible for it to perform the tranfer of the Boot and BIN from the SD?

Hi Damian,

In general you are right but since there was major change between version 8.6.x to 9.0.x then there is a need also to to update the BinLib and Boot.

As I mentioned above there is no option to clone boot and BinLib since the SD card works on those layers.

Please note that the Boot and the BinLib versions are changed very rare compared to OS version.

Possible workaround:

First you can prepare 2 clone files - one for version 8.6.x and one for 9.0.x

Then you need to check the versions of the Boot and BinLib of the new PLC and download the relevant clone.

Version 8.6.x - Boot 2.2(02), BinLib 1.3(04)

Version 9.0.x - Boot 2.2(05), BinLib 2.10(00)

Hi Damian,

In general you are right but since there was major change between version 8.6.x to 9.0.x then there is a need also to to update the BinLib and Boot.

As I mentioned above there is no option to clone boot and BinLib since the SD card works on those layers.

Please note that the Boot and the BinLib versions are changed very rare compared to OS version.

Possible workaround:

Then you need to check the versions of the Boot and BinLib of the new PLC and download the relevant clone.

Thanks...

-----------------------------------------------

plc training in chennai

Hi Damian,

Possible workaround:

Hi Ofir,

Thanks for your reply. I do understand where you are coming from with the SD card "working on those layers". Is it possible though that a function that clones just the BinLib and Boot from the SD could be placed on the same layer that services the communication (or in other words the same layer that allows them to be downloaded by communication)?

Has Unitronics given any consideration to adding a feature that allows the unit to "boot" directly from the SD card?

Damian

Hi,

As the support of Sd card functionality is based on BinLib and Boot then there is no way the sd card can function while updating those layers.

As you know before updating, the system deletes the current version and then installing the new one.

At the moment that the BinLib and Boot are deleted the SD card stops functioning.

Is there any way of putting the updated boot files for 9.0.1 on the controllers other than via the RS-232 port from a PC? The application that the V130 is used for does not allow for access to the back of the PLC for temporarily attaching RS-232 cables. The V130 units out in the field will not be able to have the 9.0.1 boot files customer-installed. The software used on these units is subject to occasional updates. Otherwise, I will have to maintain 2 versions of my software, 1 for 8.6.3 and 1 for 9.x.x and after.