Did I really do this?

Ausman

• MVP 2023

A few weeks ago I replaced a power supply that was playing up.

I finally got to preparing invoicing etc and looked at the supply again to clarify something.  I discovered that I had marked it with S/N.  Huhh?

Why have I marked it as wanting the serial number?  Did I talk to the agents and they are replacing it?  Don't remember doing this.  Must have, but forgotten.  Hmmmmmm.

Thought about it some more, without luck, during finishing the invoice and then put the supply into my electronics recycle bin.  During this process I managed to turn it around 180° and everything became clear!  My marking of S/N became N/S....Not Serviceable!!!

Did I really do this?  Yep!   Did I feel stoooooopid?  Yep!  But I thought some of you might laugh.

Normally I mark things as R/S (rat poo...being polite) so this is the excuse I'm using!

cheers,

Aus

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...
  • MVP 2023

Had another laugh today, a few seconds after calling myself dumbo.

I was altering a cover that goes on the supply sub to my workshop.  Because of this I had the power off to the workshop on the main board.

"Hmmm", says self, "this will be much easier to drill in the workshop."

So off walks self to the workshop with the cover, clamps it all securely in the big drill press, lines the first hole up, and pushes the button.

Huh?  Not working?

That would be because you've got the power off to the workshop so that you can modify the sub's cover......you goose!

cheers, Aus     😵

• 1 year later...
  • MVP 2023

And another one to prove this New Year's resolution of retaining clear thinking went astray a little.

I dislike using "off the shelf" mobiles with the likes of goggles etc incessantly talking to HO, amongst other things I find undesirable.   So I have a little W7 laptop set up for adb work on suitable phones, it does nothing else.

I've recently had to get a new phone, and in setting it up I couldn't understand why the laptop was suddenly refusing to let me do Shift Right click open command prompt here.  Hunted for a while and then gave up, sourced cmd direct and then pointed it to the right folder.  Worked, but a bit tedious. 

Anyone who's done this with adb trialling ROMs knows you can do it a few times to find the one you really  like out of a number available.  And each time the laptop refused the option.

I had the laptop sitting on the desk in front of my main screens (when I say little...I meant it!) and last night it occurred to me that I was being so stoooopid.   For accessing a few computers onto the same screens, I don't use a full on KVM switch as it gave issues with different monitor capabilities from the 3 innately different computers in use.  I use a USB switcher that only handles the mouse and keyboard, and switch the monitors manually to whatever input I need.  So...I am used to using the same keyboard and mouse regardless of what I am looking at.   I guess you have just figured it out as well.......I was pressing Shift on the main keyboard, not the laptop.  But was correctly using the other mouse direct connected to the laptop.

Duuuhhh.

It was absolutely incredible, fantabulous and amazing that once I pressed Shift on the laptop, the process worked correctly........  🤪    

If only there was an OEM reset button on the side of my head, that would retain most info but reset the occasionally scrambled stuff.

• Haha 2

On 1/5/2024 at 12:29 AM, Ausman said:

So...I am used to using the same keyboard and mouse regardless of what I am looking at.   I guess you have just figured it out as well.......I was pressing Shift on the main keyboard, not the laptop.  But was correctly using the other mouse direct connected to the laptop.

Autopilot mode. We absolutely have to have an autopilot mode to avoid having to calibrate every single action involved in every task we ever perform. 

It's a blessing--but sometimes it can REALLY mess us up 🙂