Unit ID check etc. on online test first login on a bus system

Ausman

• MVP 2023

Hi all,

I'm running 9.7.55 Build 0.

I would love the remote log in/online test process to include an initial check that you are actually talking to the plc in the program you have opened on screen. 

It is very easy to lose track of things and select the wrong address from the drop down box.  I have had instances of worry as I then read really weird things for that PLC because I am actually not logged into what I am looking at on screen.  The program happily reads and displays all the operands, but they are the wrong ones! 

I don't think that it would be too hard to have an initial check on first access that is then remembered for that session.  A variation of the "Get OPLC Information" action.

Is there also a way to change the names of the dropdown Canbus/485 IDs?  Having a specific name would also help on this issue, rather than just the ID numbers.

Finally, given what I'm first asking, could the check also include a look at the program names, to check if they match?  Again, during mods, I have sometimes been caught out through switching b/n various versions I am developing, with what I am watching not what the plc has.

I know that this is all basically a human error type of thing, but it would make life easier and isn't that what it is about?

Cheers,

Aus

Would it also be possible to prompt to save the program before downloading.

I have made the error many times where I have downloaded a program after making changes.

I then save the program with an updated filename before I shut down Visilogic.

This results in the PLC having a different file name than the most recent version on the PC even though both are the same.

Regards

Denis

• MVP 2023

I then save the program with an updated filename before I shut down Visilogic.

I save under a different name regularly, usually with just a version number changed. What drives me crazy is that when I do a "Save As..." in VisiLogic, the current filename isn't pre-filled in like it is with every single other Windows program on Earth. What I have to do is go find the current file, select it, then change the version number. I can't count the number of times I've almost accidentally selected the wrong file, which would be a disaster.

• MVP 2023

I know what you're saying Flex, it also annoys me.  My workaround is twofold...I make sure the Save As window has the "date modified" column always clicked correctly to show the most recent file at the top.....do it once and it should stick.  2nd method is if the names are complex, I do a quick excel sheet with progressive sequencing to save me the trouble of typing it correctly.  I leave the sheet open and just copy and paste the next version name.

As an aside to this complaint, has anyone found a good replacement for the fantastic DataKeeper program of old?  It was put out with PartitionMagic years ago, well before most users even knew about partitions, and was the best backup program I have ever worked with.  Simple, effective, easy to use but sadly won't run without hiccouphs under anything younger than XP.  It's beauty was twofold.  It would backup any new save within any folders you set, immediately.  The real winner was that you could specify the number of copies it keeps of the same name, working on a FIFO basis.  So  you could just keep on using the same name and you would always have your prior versions there in case you needed to go backwards.  You can immediately realise the benefits!  I used to "pingpong" b/n a digit change on the names to make it easy to start with in case of a minor "rewind" needed, but the "how many copies do you want to keep before I get rid of them", was fantastic.  As well, if you ever needed a full restore it simply lifted the latest version into the restore.  Perhaps someone has some clues as to how to make it stable under Win 7 etc?  I tried all sorts of compatibility settings without luck.  Boohoo.

cheers,

Aus

• Upvote 1