Stuck on "Loading Components" when starting UniLogic on Windows 10

Hi Mousemania;

Windows 10?   Latest Updates?  -- Win 10 is a real pain! 

Uninstall    1.22.13

Get Into Control Panel - Programs and Uninstall the SQL Server

Shut down the computer.  and  Restart. ( Sometimes RAM remembers what is supposed to be erased )

Install  1.22.13  ( This will cause an new SQL Install to be done )

(When doing and uninstall of a current  UniLogic, it does not uninstall the SQL Server.

Uninstall SQL Server  forces the New UniLogic install to install it again,

Subtle changes can cause headaches))

Been there , done that !

Dant

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AlexUT said:

Hi,

When starting UniLogic and it is stuck on "Loading Components", do next to delete and re-create SQL Database instance:

Stop Unitronics Notifier (Unitronics.Notifier.exe) from Task Manager.
Start  Windows cmd
Type: sqllocaldb stop UniLogic
Type: sqllocaldb delete UniLogic
Type: sqllocaldb create UniLogic

In windows explorer, write: %ProgramData%\Unitronics\UniLogic\Temp
Enter the folder with the username.
Delete all the files there (mdf and ldf)

Start UniLogic and try to open a project.

If this does not helps, contact Unitronics Support at support@unitronics .com to schedule remote session.

B.R.

It is best to avoid doing these steps manually, since the Diagnostics tool does them automatically if it detects a problem with the instance. Furthermore, problems will happen if the cmd is not started as Administrator, and problems may happen if the UniLogic instance is created on a different version of SQL Server. Meaning, the actual command should be: sqllocaldb create UniLogic 11.0

If a newer version version of SQL Server local DB is installed then running "sqllocaldb create UniLogic" will create the instance on the new version. This means that any project that is saved with this version will not open on computers with the UniLogic instance running on SQL Server 2012 (which is the version we use).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2018 at 11:51 PM, Saragani said:

Download the attached Rar file, and extract the files to UniLogic installation directory. This means that the "UniLogic Diagnostics.exe" (and all the other files) must be placed in the same directory where "Unitronics.Shell.UI.exe" is located (usually at: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Unitronics\UniLogic\")

After you've extracted the files, run "UniLogic Diagnostics.exe" and click on Diagnose.

Most chances that it will show "SQL Instance" as one that has problems. In case it find problems, the "Fix" button will become enabled. Click on Fix, and the program will attempt to fix the problem, and then it will re-diagnose the problems to confirm that they are fixed.

Please tell me what problems it found .

Also tell me if it managed to fix the problem that you're experiencing with UniLogic (that it is stuck in loading components).

Thanks.

UniLogic Diagnostics.rar

This was very helpful. Simple and solved the SQL Instance issue. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. I tried downloading the Unilogicdiagnostics.rar. All i get is a Rar file that will not extract and does not have an .exe file in it. What am i doing wrong? I tried reinstalling Unilogic ,running as admin, and deleting the tmp files. Thanks for everyone's help. Ray 

• MVP 2023

I should have explained what a .rar file is.  For future reference, a file with a .rar extension is a compressed file, typically used by hardcore programmers to toss Unix (or Linux) filesets around.  It a more efficient compression algorithm but not seen as often on the web as a .zip file.

As shown by your screenshots, Windows acts dumb when it sees one.  Microsoft knows damn well what they are but I have a feeling because they are so popular with the Linux community that there was a conscious decision made by the Windows development team to not include in the default supported file extensions.

Keep up your efforts! 

Joe T.

• 1 month later...

The UniLogic Diagnostics should solve the problem. There is no need for a manual. Just run the tool and click on the Diagnose button. If it finds a problem, then the Fix button will become enabled, and clicking on it should solve the problem.

I would not recommend following the instructions written at the link you've posted, since they are incorrect.

The create command is missing 11.0 at the end, meaning, the command should be: sqllocaldb create UniLogic 11.0

I'm wondering if you now have UniLogic running with SQL Server instance in the wrong server version (Which will make your projects un-openable on other user's computers which uses the correct SQL Server version).

To check the SQL Server version of the UniLogic instasnce, type in the command line:

sqllocaldb i unilogic

If you see under the version 11.0.23180  or any number that starts with 11.0, then it's OK, but if you see a number that starts with 12.0, 13.0 or any other number, then this is not good.

Option 4, running MSIZap and then running UniLogic would not solve a thing, but just create more damage than good. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 3:49 AM, Joe Tauser said:

I should have explained what a .rar file is.  For future reference, a file with a .rar extension is a compressed file, typically used by hardcore programmers to toss Unix (or Linux) filesets around.  It a more efficient compression algorithm but not seen as often on the web as a .zip file.

As shown by your screenshots, Windows acts dumb when it sees one.  Microsoft knows damn well what they are but I have a feeling because they are so popular with the Linux community that there was a conscious decision made by the Windows development team to not include in the default supported file extensions.

Keep up your efforts! 

Joe T.

It is old post but .rar files are actually from DOS and BBS era and they are still popular in file sharing  and archiving.  Microsoft wont include support because rar format is closed source when zip format is very much open source. So they wont have to pay some 3rd party. 

Rar file format compared with zip format has been very stable over the years. In late 90s and beginning of 2000s there were some "Special" versions from zip what may still be incompatible. But you can read all rar files even when they are from 90s.

Common format from Linux (unix) is .tar and its compressed extensions (.tar.z / .tar.gz) it stores unix specific file permissions also into archive. Today it is common to use zip and rar in linux when there is no need to keep file permissions.  For Linux there is also 7z available. 

Anatoly

On 1/3/2018 at 5:51 AM, Saragani said:

Download the attached Rar file, and extract the files to UniLogic installation directory. This means that the "UniLogic Diagnostics.exe" (and all the other files) must be placed in the same directory where "Unitronics.Shell.UI.exe" is located (usually at: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Unitronics\UniLogic\")

After you've extracted the files, run "UniLogic Diagnostics.exe" and click on Diagnose.

Most chances that it will show "SQL Instance" as one that has problems. In case it find problems, the "Fix" button will become enabled. Click on Fix, and the program will attempt to fix the problem, and then it will re-diagnose the problems to confirm that they are fixed.

Please tell me what problems it found .

Also tell me if it managed to fix the problem that you're experiencing with UniLogic (that it is stuck in loading components).

Thanks.

UniLogic Diagnostics.rar

It was helpful! Thank you!