RemoteOperator w/Windows 10 Pro

Don2015

Hi,

Well I have the compute stick up and running with Windows 10 Pro, I have one problem I want to have Remote Operator start on Windows Startup, when I try setting it I get an Error saying;

Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

I have Remote Operator set to run in Windows 7 Compatibility mode, when not set in Windows 7 mode, I get a different error that says;

Registry access is denied.

These errors are coming from Remote Operator as that is the title of the window with the error.

I am setup as administrator.

Got any ideas as to what I need to do?

Thanks,

DonH

It doesn't matter if you are an Administrator. Since Windows 8, even if you disable the UAC, it still runs (It just doesn't show the notifications).

Writing to Registry (for having the Startup options changed) requires an elevated privileges. You need to right click Remote Operator, and select "Run as Administrator"

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello,

We also have a problem with the Remote Operator running on a Windows 10 64 bit 1809 System.
This error was not present on 1803 version of Windows 10.
We tried to run the program on another machine, running this version of Windows, resulting the same error.
The Remote Operator program is installed and executed as Admin.

As soon as we try to open or save a project, by clicking on the open/saveas icon,
the open/saveas dialog shows up, and the following exception error message appears
(this exception occours also, when we click on the "Import cache file" menu item):

Visual Styles-related operation resulted in an error because no visual style is currently active.

uni-rem-op-error-2.png.2c93ff80a22337050a70a3d3045e89b5.png

Full error message in hungarian: remote operator hiba.txt

After the error message, the program continues to work, but the upper section of its window shows no icons, and has a big red X on it.

uni-rem-op-error-3.png.e9e90c71295c1a619ff1298ec5ff90a0.png

We tried to reinstall Remote Operator, reinstall .NET framework, run the program in various compatible modes with no success.

Is there a more recent version of Remote Operator, or its development has stopped?

Does anyone have some idea, what should we try out, to fix this problem?

Reverting to older Windows version is not a soulution for us.

Thank you Ausman, for the quick answer!

We do not use Remote Access, but i installed it to try out, and its seems to work, without error messages.
(it can show open-file-dialogs, without the above exception occouring).

I changed now the Unitronics.RemoteOperator.dll to the one, that Saragani posted (from dll version 1.0.0.62 to 1.0.0.63),
but the error message still appears.

Saragani wrote:

No, it is being used by Remote Operator only, and it fixes just the trend issue.

Meanwhile, i found this article:

https://blog.jtbworld.com/2018/12/red-x-symbol-error-after-updating-to.html

“WinForms applications may have problems rendering the application UI and instead may render a white screen with a red ‘X’ symbol. The issue is caused by a change in Windows 10 October 2018 Update that exposed a bug in .NET Framework 4.7.2. The issue is caused by a change in Windows 10 October 2018 Update that exposed a bug in .NET Framework 4.7.2. The Windows 10 October 2018 Update adds a new flag to VisualStyle state when the application UI launches a child dialog (i.e., a FileSaveDialog or PrintpreviewDialog) that causes .NET Framework to fail its VisualStyleState check and thus throw an exception while rendering the application UI.”

I downloaded the ".NET Framework 4.8 Early Access Build 3707" and installed it, tried out the Remote Operator,
but it doesn't solved my problem.

I wonder if Remote Operator even uses 4.8 .Net framework, or instead some older, 3.5 or 2.0 version.

You are not the only one that faced this problem, and I tried looking for the cause for this problem few weeks ago, but didn't find much of an information about it (since it was before December 26th).

Your link at least explains the cause. Now that I know what causing it, then I can try few solutions, and see if any of them works.

I hope that Microsoft will release a fix for the .Net framework that will solve this issue.

Remote Operator uses .Net framework 3.5. 

I have confirmed that I can also reproduce it here with Windows 10 1809. Installing .Net framework 4.8 did not solve the problem.

The link says that it's a bug with .Net framework 4.7.2, but I think it's a bug in all .Net Frameworks up until 4.7.2 (including).

In this case, I'm not sure if Microsoft will release a fix for .Net 3.5

I saw that Microsoft release a Windows update named KB4480056, which updates .Net framework 4.7.2 and .Net 3.5, but I tested it, and it doesn't fix this problem (it's just a security issue fix, as I understand).

In that case, I'll have to re-compile Remote Operator with .Net 4.0, so it will target .Net framework 4.8 when installed, and still be able to run on Windows XP.

I'll hope it will work. I can't say when it will be done and when I'll be able to test it.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I have confirmed that compiling Remote Operator so it would target .Net framework 4.0, while .Net 4.8 is installed fixes the problem.

Luckily, there is a workaround that can help you run Remote Operator with .Net Framework 4.0 and newer without getting a new Exe.

Go to where Remote Operator is installed, usually at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Unitronics\Remote Operator\

You should find a file called: Remote Operator.exe.config

Open this file with Notepad or Notepad++ while it runs as Administrator (since you are going to change a file located in Program Files, and Windows will not let you do that unless the change is being done by a program that has Admin rights).

Just replace the entire content of that file (it should be a text file in an XML format, so make sure you don't accidentally open the exe file instead), and save the file.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
	<configSections>
  <sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
   <section name="Remote_Operator.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false"/>
  </sectionGroup>
 </configSections>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="EnableLogger" value="False"/>
  </appSettings>
 <runtime>
		<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
			<probing privatePath="Libraries;StartupLib"/>
		</assemblyBinding>
	</runtime>
 <userSettings>
  <Remote_Operator.Properties.Settings>
   <setting name="RdpVncMode" serializeAs="String">
    <value>False</value>
   </setting>
   <setting name="AutoRun" serializeAs="String">
    <value>False</value>
   </setting>
   <setting name="ProjectLoadOption" serializeAs="String">
    <value/>
   </setting>
   <setting name="SelectedProjectToLoad" serializeAs="String">
    <value/>
   </setting>
   <setting name="StartWithWindows" serializeAs="String">
    <value>False</value>
   </setting>
   <setting name="FullScreenMode" serializeAs="String">
    <value>False</value>
   </setting>
   <setting name="AutoRefreshInterval" serializeAs="String">
    <value>100</value>
   </setting>
  </Remote_Operator.Properties.Settings>
 </userSettings>
<startup><supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/></startup></configuration>

The line that was added to the config is just after the </userSettings> and before the </configuration>.

It's the: <startup><supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/></startup>    which tells it to target .Net framework 4.

Please tell me if it helped.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Hi, Saragani!

Thank you very much for the responses!

Meanwhile i have done some testing:

Without modifying Remote Operator.exe.config or installing any .NET updates, the error message says:

mscorlib
    Szerelvény verziója: 2.0.0.0
    Win32-verzió: 2.0.50727.9035 (WinRelRS5.050727-9000)
    Kódbázis: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32-verzió: 2.0.50727.9031 (WinRelRS5.050727-9000)
    Kódbázis: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
mscorlib.resources
    Win32-verzió: 2.0.50727.9035 (WinRelRS5.050727-9000)
    Kódbázis: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

So for me, it looks like, Remote Operator is using 2.0 framework libraries.

I then uninstalled 3.5 .Net framework (this includes .Net 2.0 and 3.0)

image.png.2a547c7197d3587b577adc855f8ff234.png

Now when i try to start Remote Operator, it opens up a Windows dialog, complaining that the needed 3.5 framework (including 2.0 and 3.0) is missing,
and it must be downloaded and installed.  This makes sense.

After that, i have placed the line that you suggested, in the Remote Operator.exe.config file:

The line that was added to the config is just after the </userSettings> and before the </configuration>.

It's the: <startup><supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/></startup>    which tells it to target .Net framework 4.

So, without installing any .Net framework, i can start Remote Operator, but the "red X" problem is still there, but the error message has also changed:

mscorlib
    Szerelvény verziója: 4.0.0.0
    Win32-verzió: 4.7.3260.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    Kódbázis: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
System
    Win32-verzió: 4.7.3314.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B
    Kódbázis: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32-verzió: 4.7.3260.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    Kódbázis: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

Now its using 4.0 (4.7?) .Net libraries. 

After that, i installed  .NET Framework 4.8 Early Access Build 3707 found here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2032091

Doing so, the "red x" problem is solved! Your workaround is successful!

I can now confirm, that to solve this "red x" toolbar problem, it's needed to do 2 things:

1. put the <startup><supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/></startup> line in the Remote Operator.exe.config file, AND
2. install the Microsoft fix: .NET Framework 4.8 Early Access Build 3707 https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2032091

Perhaps, Microsoft will release an update via Windows Update once also.

Thank you again Saragani for your help!

--------------------------------
Note: this above issue has nothing to do with the other "red x" problem on the plc image, caused by the missing cache files:

• 5 months later...
  • MVP 2023

I'm currently shifting a number of older puters up to 1903 via upgrade from iso, not clean install.  I have another newer one that is always a clean install.  These normally aren't involved in Unitronics stuff, but I'll try on a few once done and advise.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

@Saragani I have now upgraded 2 systems to 1903 that have never had Unitronics stuff.  Loaded RO onto both and it worked fine accessing my 130s.  I don't know about more complex Visions as I have none to try it on.  Also remember that both the puters were not clean install, they have always been upgrades from when shifted to W10 from W7.  I have yet to do the clean install, this could be a few weeks away.   Will advise once done.

cheers, Aus

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm, that with the recent Windows version the red-X-toolbar .NET problem is fixed.

Yesterday, i made a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Build 1903 ,with Microsoft Media Creator Tool made USB stick.
(Full reinstall, not just update, i choose at install, to delete all partition and recreate them.)

After drivers and windows updates installed, i tried to install Remote Operator 1.0.71.

It shows up a dialog, it requires the .NET Framework version 3.5, clicking yes opens browser at dotnet.microsoft.com.

remote-operator-requires-netframework35.png.e6dc9d30dd44f584b83a27e1e3dab282.png

I do not downloaded anything, instead opened program-components in Windows, clicked the 3.5 Framework checkbox, and let Windows to install it.

image.png.2a547c7197d3587b577adc855f8ff234.png

After that, restarting the Remote Operator installer runs succesfully, and the program works normally,
it can connect to V130, V570, V1040 PLCs.

The open and saveas dialogs also works, the big-red-toolbar problem is not present.

Something to remember:  if you update Windows through Manual Update, per Microsoft, you have agreed to upload anything in any state whatever, including beta files.  The user is not notified by Microsoft of this but they did admit to it earlier this year / end of last year.  "Official" Microsoft updates are pushed to PCs.  None of my personal computers have 1809 since it was not pushed.  Microsoft admitted that it has lots of problems.

• 2 years later...

Con respecto al tema de "Remote Operator con Windows 10 Pro". Es posible acceder a las configuraciones "PROGRAMACION" del PLC por comunicación remota?

La verdad no se si se pueda, espero y que si. Es poder entrar a la programación del PLC por medio remoto, es decir con la IP estática, y con los puertos abiertos, entrar a su  programación del PLC.

Saludos

• MVP 2023

Goggles translation:

Regarding the topic of "Remote Operator with Windows 10 Pro". Is it possible to access the "PROGRAMMING" settings of the PLC by remote communication?

The truth is I don't know if it can be done, I hope so. It is to be able to enter the PLC programming by remote means, that is, with the static IP, and with the ports open, enter your PLC programming.

Greetings

• MVP 2023

You do not need Remote Operator to do this.  Such access is possible using Visilogic.  It is not hard.  The main issue is correctly setting your router at the remote end to allow access on the desired port.

Open the Help file in Visilogic, use the Index tab and find "Remote PLC Programming".