Ausman

Silly coincidences make me jump!

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you've all had those amazing instances where you do something on a site and some totally unrelated action happens exactly as you finish some switch action or similar.  It makes you jump and think that you've caused something somehow, but it is just simply silly coincidence.

Well....today, I would swear that my wife has some sort of ESP tuned into me.  I was checking our pump systems over, getting ready for the upcoming bushfire season.  We are on acres and bushfires are a fact of life, given we are in one of the most prone areas in the world.  You have to look out for yourself.  (We do, but many don't!)  Our extensive pump system draws from a number of dams. It uses diesels for main fire use and electrics for general watering of her great gardens of an acre or so.  For ease of use I have it set up so that she can switch the electrics on with a remote.

So I toddle off to the pump shed which is a fair way down slopes from the garden areas and start work.  15 minutes in and I reconnect the diesel's battery after cleaning the posts and oil change etc.  Just as I touch the + terminal to the post, on comes the electric.  In the enclosed pump shed the sudden startup is very loud, so as I jump in fright I klonk my head on the low roof for the first time.  "How does she do that?", I chuckle/curse to myself!  She turns it off after about 10 minutes, and it remains off for another 20 minutes or so.

I'm then wiggling/checking the physical SIM contacts in the modem system, and once finished turn it back on.  Absolutely concurrently, up starts the pump again!  Huh?  Head klonk number 2.  More "How does she do that?", but this time it involves a bit more cursing.  She turns it off about 5 minutes later and doesn't run it again.

For another test about an hour later after doing myriad minor other checks of filters etc, I dial into the system to initiate the "bushfire is close" response.  The diesel is not started until everything else checks out correctly for a start, eg valves adjusted ok etc.  At exactly the same time the diesel starts to crank, on comes the electric AGAIN, thus stuffing up my careful listening to the seqence.

This time I cracked it, as I really need to listen carefully to the end of the sequence and I couldn't believe in coincidence number 3.  I run up the stairs and paths to see if she's playing little tricks on me, to find her merrily watering away, totally oblivious to all the angst she somehow caused at exactly the right moments, 3 times in a row, for maximum heart attack.

I am often amazed how such coincidences happen.  A number of times over the years, I've flicked a breaker off on any small HVAC system, only to have the entire suburb go off at exactly that moment. Uhhmmmmm....I didn't do anything!!....or maybe...that was a hell of a spike from that 0.5Kw evap motor!!   Or done a fundamental change to my computer network cabling layout, only to have it not work once finished.  Spend hours chasing it to no avail, with everything checking out ok, only to then discover that some dick has chopped the main state line somewhere with a backhoe during the time I've had it off.  What?!!!

I can't be alone in this long line of strange happenings.  It is just life playing little jokes on me.   Perhaps someone else might like to relate their equivalents.   Please tell me I'm not THAT weird!

cheers,

Aus

Fair Dinkum!…..(Aussie for "exasperated incredulousness".)

What is it with me and the Poltergeists looking over my shoulder waiting for just the right moment to do something?

When turned off, my air compressor has a control system that instantly releases the remaining air once the tank gets down to about 20psi.  I keep my air connections in good condition and it takes any time over a week for pressures to drop enough for this to happen, depending on what is on the lines.

In the workshop over the New Year I spent an entertaining few hours doing a complex wiring lash-up of an idea I'd been working on.  Finished the final connection b/n the various components and checked it all over carefully…everything looked OK.

Powered on the supply and WHOOOOSSHHHHHH!!!!  5m away the compressor release had opened at EXACTLY that moment.

I absolutely pooped my pants....a lovely New Year present for myself. 

After they also applied the defibrillator a few times, I again pondered how these strange timings continue to happen to me.

cheers,  and HNY, 2018.

Aus

• Like 1

I am particularly jumpy when working in or around high voltage electron tube power amplifiers. Even little sounds startle me. I've had other people clap or make a loud bang while I had my head in an equipment cabinet, NOT FUNNY AT ALL! Amazing how the timing can go when you shoot the juice to equipment and something else goes bang, pop, bing, bang or boom. Heart arrhythmia's can certainly result from such events. Happy New Year Aus!

• Like 1

LOL!!!
Aus, they ARE watching you :P

I am jumpy around electricity generally...many, many years ago, during my IDF service, we had an electrical heater stop working, one of those with metal heating spirals. (we used those for more than heating--I could cook a full meal by propping those suckers up and balancing mess tins on them...but I digress) So I found a screwdriver, opened it up, checked to see that everything was attached, tightened connections...
Anyway, when I was finished, I plugged it in and was knocked halfway across the room (at least it seemed that far). We have 220 here. Back then, the fuses were wires that you cut to length and screwed into place (these probably have a proper name in English, but I have no idea what it might be ). And people usually used heavy-duty wires instead of the ones you were supposed to, because you'd get sick of the damn things burning out--so I was very lucky.
Anyway, although I have no problem fixing things around the house, I call my husband when it comes to anything electrical more complicated than changing a light bulb, or rewiring a lamp...can't make myself touch wires coming out of a wall.

Here's another:

Had to mount something onto the other side of a brick wall from a solar PV grid interactive inverter system that has been in place for 9 years without an issue at all.  There was no other suitable location, and the inverter couldn't be "unmounted" to get away from the vibration from hammer drilling.

Carefully did the work with everything solar fully isolated and finished it all off without any hiccouphs.  Everything back on and Solar cranks up ok.  Phew!

2 hours later solar stops outputting.  Huh?  Ohh no!  This was noticed during an inspection after various simple UPS units stopped.  Odd.  No breakers off, power still on everywhere.  Just no solar and no UPS will run.  Solar interrogation says line fault.  Out with the meter.

Whoah!  We are 240 but the line was 270.    Turns out that some local supply tranny had decided to poop itself just after I finished working near the inverter, and was slowly increasing it's output.

Honestly....do I slash my wrists now?  Is this what the little "coincidence" devils hovering around my head want?  Huh?

cheers,

Aus

Aus, 

Inevitably some piece of equipment will fail in the same area you were working about an hour after you leave. Then you phone rings, then you explain how you didn't touch it and that it is in no way connected to what you serviced or installed, and then you hear:  "but it was working until you showed up". Then you decide if you should: go into hiding, go back and troubleshoot something you shouldn't be messing with, or wait for other folks to show up and confirm that it had nothing to do with you. Fun times. Happens at least once a year to me.  I would not advise slashing your wrists. Usually finds resolve within 24 hours :) 

On 15/01/2018 at 12:58 PM, hotwires said:

Happens at least once a year to me

I hear you Hots, but this sort of thing happens to me about twice a month!    :wacko:

cheers,

Aus

On 16/01/2018 at 11:24 PM, Cara Bereck Levy said:

DownUnder Gremlins!

Yeah, that's right.  Our heads are upside down so all the blood rushes to them, making all those hidden human brain abilities work much better.....like communicating with inanimate objects around us and saying to scare the pants off the human!

cheers,

Aus

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.