Find ALL unused elements

Ausman

• MVP 2023

Hi all,

In Visilogic I am requesting that in Edit/FindElements we get the ability to find all unused elements in one search.  In complex programs during development I can't be alone in losing track of things that have been tried, need modification and eventually turn into unused elements.  Although this "shouldn't" happen, in the real world it does.  Pencil work can only do so much!

I wouldn't care if it took a little while to run through a simple loop covering everything it finds supposedly used within all the operand tables, as it would save vastly more time than going through thousands of elements manually!

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023

HI Flex,

I have always found Operands Not Referenced to bring up things that are actually used in the program, and therefore don't use it.  See attached pic. 

But, right click on an operand in the list and do a Find "X" and it will correctly identify those that aren't used at all, but only one at a time.  I would like one click to find all of them.

cheers,

Aus

Uni.jpg

• MVP 2023
11 hours ago, Flex727 said:

since it's only removing the description

Ahh....but Flex, check the next jpg out.

To demonstrate, I deleted the description of MB0 and in doing so it also dropped the Use tick.    It now doesn't appear in the Operands not Referenced box, but it is still in use in the program.  You are right, there is a bug, I've never thought of complaining because I just resigned myself to never use it!

Mostly I keep track of things, but occasionally during further mods I come across an element that doesn't make sense, then discover it isn't in use and was part of a previous method of doing something.  These are the elements I want to completely see in one overview that will help me clean things up.

cheers,

Aus

Uni2.jpg

• MVP 2023

Hi Saragini,

I cannot send the projects as they are proprietary and am exploring the issue at present to find a definite cause.   I made a simple project to test things and it all worked fine.

In the projects where the problem is evident, it seems to be related to items on HMI screens where addressing/referencing has been changed to a new location and the old one reused for another aspect.  But I have run out of time for now so will advise further when I can spend a bit more time on it and hopefully pin it down.

cheers,

Aus