I have been working with Vision PLCs, and Visilogic for several years, and have enjoyed working in the Visilogic software. I have seen improvements, enhancements in the software along the way, and have no complaints. However, after just watching a video of an overview of Unilogic, I am left with a much less enthusiastic view of Visilogic now.  : (

Just about everything I saw in the video made me think "Wow, I wish I could do that in Visilogic!"

Are there plans to add Vision controller support to Unilogic? Or are there plans to overhaul Visilogic to look and function like Unilogic? Or, should I just start planning a migration strategy to Unistream controllers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

Totally separate animals.  Remember, the UniStream is a Linux-based box and there are a whole lot of things that come pre-programmed in a Linux kernel that the Creators didn't have to re-invent to cram into a standard micro-controller as found in the Vision series.

With greater power comes further complexity in development.  I still prefer the Vision for most systems as it has a much smaller learning curve.  It's main drawback is communications, which the UniStream totally excels at.  I wouldn't have a frowny face on the Visions.  Just know where each product fits best. 

To answer your questions:

No.

No.

Depends on the application.

Joe T.

• Upvote 2

What Joe said :)

On 7/7/2017 at 4:24 AM, Joe Tauser said:

UniStream is a Linux-based box and there are a whole lot of things that come pre-programmed in a Linux kernel that the Creators didn't have to re-invent to cram into a standard micro-controller as found in the Vision series.

Yup - things we COULD not have implemented with a standard micro-controller.

And people - like it or not, the whole Industrial Internet of Things/Smart Factory/Industry 4.0 is real, here to stay, and the COM abilities of Linux are absolutely crucial. We - the Unitronics royal We - keep current...because eventually you, as automation professionals, will need this type of connectivity. Transition is the name of the game, and as professionals you know how to adapt :)

7 hours ago, hotwires said:

I am still using the Vision/Samba line in new projects. Fits the bill just fine for most applications where function is put over fashion. The learning curve for UniLogic was steep for me. A whole different animal indeed.

Yes, it is very different - but, once you get the hang of it - it is good, well worth it in my humble opinion.

• Like 1