Problem connecting with a V1210

Hello all !

I'm trying to get data from a V1210 using DataXport. When i try to get OPLC information i got this message :

"Communications could not be established due to failure to open port. Port maybe in use by  another application or device."

Or this port seems to work perfectly and is not used by other application...

Can somebody help me ? :)

Regards, Gaël.

Hi Gael,

Are you communicating via Ethernet or Serial ???

Connection -> Communication settings

Will let you test the port you are trying to use in DataExport, however in order to set the port up for DataXport to use while running you need to go to the Design drop down menu

Design->PC Ports

Set up the port you want to use in the window which pops up.

Then when you set up the site make sure you have the correct port selected.

1 hour ago, Flex727 said:

You can find the IP address of the PLC in INFO mode. If you are going to communicate with the PLC via Ethernet, you need to set up Ethernet Configuration and assign an appropriate IP address in the ladder.

Thank you. Where is this INFO mode ? Cause I can't find it in DataXport.

I don't know I've never done it that way.

If you want an excel file of the data table you can do the following:

Specify the Excel folder to save the files to  by clicking Project-> Excel/.csv file properties

In the site under Excel/csv files select: Create Excel files 

When a call completes the system will create an excel file and store it in the folder define in the Excel/.csv properties.  ( I can't remember but you might require excel on the computer running DataXport)

• 8 months later...

Hello!

I have similar problem with connecting laptop  to V1210 via serial. And that happend suddenly.  I was programming something all morning. downloading more time and all was working fine.

Now i get  message "communication driver error (206). 

I have twice erased all from PLC (Info mode--->Working mode--->Exit to factory boot) and reinstal all.

Strange is that connection is working normal all time   untill instalation is not finished.

And over the same port (port 4 in my case).

I reinstall even Visilogic...

And try to connect over second laptop, without luck...

I would appreciate it for every help.

v1210.jpg

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, dub said:

Now i get  message "communication driver error (206). 

It sounds like you did everything except re-install your serial driver. Your message would indicate that's where the problem lies.

I believe it's also possible to connect to your PLC using the PLC's Serial Port 2. I'd try that also.

Thanks for quick response :)

Now i also reinstall Silicon lab CP210X USB to UART BRIDGE driver but nothing changed.

1 hour ago, Flex727 said:

I believe it's also possible to connect to your PLC using the PLC's Serial Port 2. I'd try that also.

I have no serial port  on laptop, or there is any other way :wacko:

• MVP 2023

Hi Dub, (you've just responded to Flex as I'm finishing this!) the taskbar looks like this is Win10.  It is highly likely that windows has over-ridden your driver and replaced it with one that Microsoft thinks is better.  This can be a right PITA. See if you have a restore point you can go back to.

If that works, tell Windows to leave your drivers alone...... Control Panel/System/Advanced system settings/Hardware tab/ Device Installation Settings/click NO etc.  I'd be doing this anyway if your system is stable.

And check this setting regularly, Msoft have a habit of turning it back on without telling you.

cheers,

Aus

1 hour ago, Ausman said:

Hi Dub, (you've just responded to Flex as I'm finishing this!) the taskbar looks like this is Win10.  It is highly likely that windows has over-ridden your driver and replaced it with one that Microsoft thinks is better.  This can be a right PITA. See if you have a restore point you can go back to.

If that works, tell Windows to leave your drivers alone...... Control Panel/System/Advanced system settings/Hardware tab/ Device Installation Settings/click NO etc.  I'd be doing this anyway if your system is stable.

And check this setting regularly, Msoft have a habit of turning it back on without telling you.

cheers,

Aus

"See if you have a restore point you can go back to."

I am going 5 days back in time :)

We'll see what's going to happen. 

• MVP 2023

Hmmm.  I'm a little confused now.  On one hand I read

16 hours ago, dub said:

connecting laptop  to V1210 via serial

but next there is

14 hours ago, dub said:

I have no serial port  on laptop, or there is any other way

So are you using the 232 port on the PLC or the USB ?

1).  "other way" You can get USB to serial 232 converters which should let you use the PLC's comm ports.

2).  Can you please tell us, or post image of, all the comms settings displayed by using info mode direct on the 1210.  Note that port 4 in your description is the port on the PC, not the PLC.

3).  After your initial work to do this, check that you are using the correct physical socket on the PLC, together with ensuring the comms parameters on the PC are exactly identical.

4). Keep in mind that COM port 1 function is suspended under certain USB connections.

5).  Check continuity of the connection cable/try another one.

6).  Wish I was there!

cheers,

Aus