I dream of Seven Sockets...

• External Moderators

Hi All!

Ever since the birth of the V700, I sometimes pop my head in here, hoping to see a new V570-compatible ethernet module with support for seven sockets.

I wonder if such a thing would be possible?  I don't want to have to change the hardware, some of the HMIs are way too intricate...

Thanks!

TM

• MVP 2023

I asked about that shortly after the introduction of the V700 and was told it wasn't going to happen. I can imagine it would be a complicated affair to implement since it would require a firmware update and the previous module would still have to be available and there would be inevitable confusion of the wrong module mated with the wrong firmware version.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim!
The socket limitation is a hardware one. I believe that  a "new V570-compatible ethernet module" might be possible. This sort of thing is generally market-driven; if a number of distributors get requests and passes them on, for example.
However, the V700 is a good deal, and the HMI screen is superior...you may want to consider it.

• External Moderators
On 1/17/2018 at 8:56 AM, Cara Bereck Levy said:

Hi Tim!
The socket limitation is a hardware one. I believe that  a "new V570-compatible ethernet module" might be possible. This sort of thing is generally market-driven; if a number of distributors get requests and passes them on, for example.
However, the V700 is a good deal, and the HMI screen is superior...you may want to consider it.

Hi Cara!

Form factor is an issue for me, this is an existing installation, with 30+ complex screens that I don't want to have to redraw.  Changing the ladder program to accommodate a different sort of ethernet card would be just fine though.

As for market demand, pretty sure folks have been asking for more than 4 sockets since the V280 days :D

Thanks!

Edit:  On a related note, on this very project of which I speak, I have two robots and a vision system connected on Modbus TCP.  I have one socket left (Socket 1) for programming via wireless router.

Due to some obsolete servo drives, I are now moving to a different motion scheme, which involves a separate motion controller that connects via - you guessed it - Modbus TCP.   Bye-bye convenient wireless programming, hello serial port.

So this one is kind of a big deal for me, personally.