DF1 between V570 and Allen Bradley Logix5000

Ok, looks like we don't have a "communications" area in the forum anymore so I guess i'll place this here.

Has anyone had any luck reading/writing long integers (ML/XL). I have a Compact Logix L32E CPU hooked up to Comm 2 on the V570. I can get the regular integers (MI/XI) back and forth just fine, but when I try long integers my message blocks time out.

I suspect either something is wrong in the "mapping tables" that have been provided or that the V570 itself is not mapping the memory properly.

On a side note, I also noticed that for some reason I had to make the array used for storing the incoming V570 data one full element larger than it should need to be. (ie. Its seems as though if I ask the V570 for 8 integers it sends me 9 instead)

Another Side, Side note........

It would be nice to have a sepatate area in the forum dedicated to.....

Miscellaneous Communications

CAN Communications

Ethernet Communications

There is a ton of valuable info on CAN in the old forum.

Damian

• 3 months later...

Hi Damian, I'm from Honduras central america, I'm student, actually am making my professional practice... I'm new in unitronics.. we have many plc allen bradley, so I want to use unitronics like hmi with the allen bradley, but are not sure how it make ?,

do you have the code ?,

please help me,

att, Darwin

Hi Damian, I'm from Honduras central america, I'm student, actually am making my professional practice... I'm new in unitronics.. we have many plc allen bradley, so I want to use unitronics like hmi with the allen bradley, but are not sure how it make ?,

do you have the code ?,

please help me,

att, Darwin

Hi Darwin,

I've been to Honduras. Nice people. You will find in the support section of Uni's main site a document that was written that discusses using DF1 to communicate to an Allen Bradley PLC. Depending on what you have, my recommendations would change. In my instance with the Compact Logix, I actually used Modbus RTU instead. This is also possible with a Micrologix. You can also do this with a SLC CPU but only with the most recent firmware and software.

If you choose the DF1 route, I only had luck with passing 16bit integers. Everything else gave me difficulty. It could have been just me, but Unitronics themselves don't have much internal support for communicating with AB so those of us who try are primarily on our own.

Warning, Using DF1 needs to be approached with caution. You definitely want to work things out on a table first before putting on a machine. The memory mapping can get confusing and if you mess is up you can easily overwrite areas that you should not be. Once you get past the addressing the code itself is very simple.

Damian