• MVP 2023
5 hours ago, Guy Sela said:

Hi Guys,

There is no direct option to reset HSC which is on expansion unit.

Attached is application which implements resetting HSC using virtual HSC.

In the attached application instead of working directly with the MI that linked to the HSC (which you are unable to change/reset) working with the virtual HSC.

Expansion HSC reset.vlp

I must admit in all my years I've never used the 16 bit HSC on an I/O module.  It seems to be more of an academic feature than anything else, as emphasized by the discussion on this forum.  The inability to externally control it and it's 16 bit integer-only property really limits what this can be used for.

In the Expansion program, a virtual reference point is created in MI 2 and MI 1 becomes the new value.

What happens when the real and true value in MI 0 rolls over (exceeds 32767) and MI 2 becomes larger than MI 0?  The MI 1 counter value will become negative.

Unless I'm missing some other details, I don't think this will work.

@GonzaloRoldan_ - I think you will be best served by adding a CANbus card to your V350 and implementing an EXF-RC15 module.   This will give you three more full-powered HSC inputs.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

I agree with Joe, the base count that everything else is derived from is still operating on a number that has a finite limit.  And it can't be reset via software.  Even if MI0 is changed to a ML the same situation exists.  Sooner or later it's going to be full.  The comment file itself says: "At Power Up, MI 0, which is linked to the HSC will be automatically initialized."  which is a recognition of the problem.  And I agree about the RC15.

But...given that I have never used HSC, can someone explain to me the intricacies of how it works.  In looking at snap-in wiring diagrams, we have 2 HSC, and it looks like there is an input and a reset.  X 2!  And the specs show it as 2 x HSC as well.  Why does this equate to only one HSC for Gonzalo's needs?  Or have I missed something here?

Aus.

1 hour ago, Joe Tauser said:

I must admit in all my years I've never used the 16 bit HSC on an I/O module.  It seems to be more of an academic feature than anything else, as emphasized by the discussion on this forum.  The inability to externally control it and it's 16 bit integer-only property really limits what this can be used for.

In the Expansion program, a virtual reference point is created in MI 2 and MI 1 becomes the new value.

What happens when the real and true value in MI 0 rolls over (exceeds 32767) and MI 2 becomes larger than MI 0?  The MI 1 counter value will become negative.

Unless I'm missing some other details, I don't think this will work.

@GonzaloRoldan_ - I think you will be best served by adding a CANbus card to your V350 and implementing an EXF-RC15 module.   This will give you three more full-powered HSC inputs.

Joe T.

Hi Joe!..

As Ausman said, you can use an ML o DW, buy it'll has a finite limit like you comment. 

I'll consider the EXF-RC15 module for future machines, but in this case I have to solve it without it. If there's no possibility to implement a reset via software, I'll do it via hardware associating a DO to the physical reset of the HSCs.

43 minutes ago, Ausman said:

I agree with Joe, the base count that everything else is derived from is still operating on a number that has a finite limit.  And it can't be reset via software.  Even if MI0 is changed to a ML the same situation exists.  Sooner or later it's going to be full.  The comment file itself says: "At Power Up, MI 0, which is linked to the HSC will be automatically initialized."  which is a recognition of the problem.  And I agree about the RC15.

But...given that I have never used HSC, can someone explain to me the intricacies of how it works.  In looking at snap-in wiring diagrams, we have 2 HSC, and it looks like there is an input and a reset.  X 2!  And the specs show it as 2 x HSC as well.  Why does this equate to only one HSC for Gonzalo's needs?  Or have I missed something here?

Aus.

Hey Ausman!

I agree with you too.. I have to say that I don't know very well how it works. The V350 model that I have, has only 1 HSC, it's the V350-35-TA24.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

• MVP 2023

I've realised I've been dumb about a product I've never handled in the flesh.  Even though Visi talks about the configs being like a snap-in, they aren't.  They are permanent different configs.  So there is only one HSC on this model.  However, various other 350 configs have 3 HSC inputs, this might be the best option?

https://unitronicsplc.com/vision-series-vision350/#vision350-1

Maybe the T2 version would be the closest?  Edit/addition:  Or if costs are a factor, maybe you could put the hard word on your supplier to source just the board that mounts into the unit, to make it a T2 instead.  I think this would work if it could be done.  Joe T input?

cheer,

Aus

Hey Aus..

They seem to be completely different as you said..
You're right about the existence other models that have more HCS inputs, but the point is that I chose and bought this model because it has others features I need (PT100, analog inputs, PWM, transitor outputs, etc.). So I bought the expansion I mentioned before in order to reach the number of HCS I was needing (an other features of course), thinking they work the same way as the onboard IOs do. So if there's no other option, I'll have to reset it by hardware.. But I'm still surprised that it's impossible to do it by software, it's kind of weird. 

Cheers,

Gonza

I'm glad that the question was answered, even if it was not the answer you might have preferred--sorry that it took some time to be answered. It was a holiday weekend (Purim) over here in UniLand :).

Always feel free to tag me directly with  @Cara Bereck Levy.

(but please don't send me support messages directly, or post them on my profile, I often miss these)

• Like 1