"CPU Error Detected" after PLC start-up

salb001

Hi all,
After downloading my latest changes I get a message on the screen saying

"CPU Error Detected. Communications with the CPU cannot be established..."

See attached screenshot for details.
I have tried resetting the modules, have checked all the wiring, grounding etc. and can't find anything amiss there. Also, I can revert to an older version of the PLC and it will run for a short time before getting the Error message again.

I'm not an expert with Unitronics but can't seem to find anything relevant in the forums or online. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Unistream_Error.jpg

Hi guys,

Despite the message, this has nothing to do with the CPU, its connector, or any hardware.
In UniLogic version 1.23.25, a certain set of circumstances that involved the 'ACK Alarm' Ladder function called this error message—it's just a minor bug 
J.

It's been fixed

• 1 month later...

I do not believe the bug is completely fixed yet. I started receiving this message after updating the firmware on my USP - 070-B10/B08 by using the  "copy to dok" method. 

The first time i attempted to upgrade the PLC, the upgrade failed (i forgot to reformat the flashdrive to fat32). I made another attempt to update the PLC after formatting the flashdrive to fat 32. The update completed, but upon starting up the "CPU error message" posted in the screenshot appeared... again and again. I have not been able to connect to my PLC to upload my program. Btw, this is my first time using that particular PLC (its brand new). I am using ethernet/IP to connect with it, and before the update, the PLC would be successfully pinged from anywhere on my network. But now, i am unable to get the IP address settings in the uniapps to stick, the fields clear themselves after entering the information. ("CPU IP Config Failed" pops up with description "Unknown error occured" after touching prompt to allow PLC to reset.)

• MVP 2023
11 hours ago, GBerkheimer said:

I do not believe the bug is completely fixed yet.

This possibly may not be the bug at all, but a true problem that is bringing up the same screen because of a genuine error.  The bug incorrectly brought up this screen in certain circumstances of running.  Yours sounds like a corruption issue, and I would be starting again from the very basics.

cheers,

Aus

12 hours ago, Ausman said:

This possibly may not be the bug at all, but a true problem that is bringing up the same screen because of a genuine error.  The bug incorrectly brought up this screen in certain circumstances of running.  Yours sounds like a corruption issue, and I would be starting again from the very basics.

I have captured the debug log and sent a copy of my simple application to support. The CPU error occurred before ever downloading my program to the PLC. I have reinstalled the same firmware but the outcome is the same. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Ausman said:

Good.  Please let us know what support say. Hope it is easily fixed.

cheers,  Aus

Support said that it is common for CPUs to lose connection with the Panel immediately after applying a firmware update, and that just cycling the power should fix the problem. However, cycling the power did not fix the connection issue, and my ip settings still would not save so I could not ping it from any other device. I did eventually get it to work after performing the following:

1. Forced a reinstall of the same firmware version, but this time I had re-downloaded the firmware onto a different flashdrive that had over 14gb of free space

2. rebooted the device, tried changing the IP address (and apply/reboot system) x2

3. Finally, my laptop pinged the panel, so I tried setting the CPU ip address again and applied the change (reboot)

4. Connected laptop to panel via UniLogic, and downloaded my application ( "Download ALL")

Now I can finally get to controlling several linear actuator controllers via Ethernet (unfortunately no information in the manuals to tell you what the Class and Instance of the devices are though, but Ill contact IAI  (Intelligent Actuator Industrial) if I cant figure it out.

• 10 months later...

I have a similar issue (or need for education).

I receive the same "CPU Error Detected" dialog although I am able to ping the Panel IP.  This is a USP-156-B10. I've successfully upgraded the firmware to 1.26.91 using the Copy to DOK method with a 32gb usb drive.

I have no problem downloading my program to the PLC and the expected IP address settings for both the Panel IP and the CPU IP are present. But my CPU IP does not have a MAC address. 

My goal is to establish TCP/IP communication with the CPU. 

2019-05-08.jpg

2019-05-08 (1).jpg

*EDIT*

I have been educated. I thought this was an all in one but we didn't buy the CPU unit that goes on the back. Pretty simple once you've got that. 

it happens quite a lot. happens if your program version doesnt match the firmware and software version of your PLC. You have to upgrade your PLCs program to match the version of unilogic you have on your computer. THEN, you have to upgrade the unitronics PLC to the same version. You will have to grab a flashdrive with about 16 GB of memory, copy the firmware files to the flashdrive, (wait for about 20 minutes for that to complete), then plug the flash drive into your Unistream PLC, upgrade PLC from the usb slot. Wait 30-40 minutes for that to complete. Finally, with your laptop or computer connected to your unistream PLC, go to remote update on unilogic. Youll see your PLC pop up on the list of devices you can connect to. go ahead and initiate that followed by a reboot. Youll finally be able to download your program to your plc.

Unilogic software version has to match your program version which has to match your PLC firmware version. 

1. update unilogic

2. update your program

3. copy firware to usb

4. connect usb to PLC and update plc firmware

5. connect PLC to laptop and run remote update

6. reboot

PLC should boot up fine, be discoverable by your laptop, and go online with

• 1 year later...

I recently used V1.29.145 of Unilogic to download an application developed on 1.28 v24 to a Unistream US5/7-B5-B1. The unit firmware was uploaded and after which we get an CPU error.  We tried cycling power, run CPU and reboot too from Unistream management but without any luck. 

Any guidance would help. We needed to release the software to a client and this issue has put our project in trouble.  

• MVP 2023

Did you try the suggestions above by using a 16 GB flashdrive and forcing an update of the firmware again?

You've probably figured this out by now, but many of us old guys keep multiple versions of the programming software on our computers and keep using that same version for a given customer / project to avoid this.  It's not a new problem to have something hiccup when you do a version change.

That said, send an email with the problem to support@unitronics.com.  You will get official Unitronics personnel to help you; the forum is mostly run by volunteers.

Joe T.

Thanks Joe. We did reach out to Unitronics support in the US. They asked for the logs and we await support from Isreal to help resolve it. I will try with a 16GB flash drive. My colleagues were using a 6GB flash and it didnt work. I dont know if 16GB is the magic number. We even tried through an SD card but without any luck. 

I also noticed that the PLC version is 1.28.58 while the software version is 1.28.34. Does this play a role? I am not sure. 

I tried to follow both methods mentioned above (copied again in this post) 

-----------------------

Support said that it is common for CPUs to lose connection with the Panel immediately after applying a firmware update, and that just cycling the power should fix the problem. However, cycling the power did not fix the connection issue, and my ip settings still would not save so I could not ping it from any other device. I did eventually get it to work after performing the following:

1. Forced a reinstall of the same firmware version, but this time I had re-downloaded the firmware onto a different flashdrive that had over 14gb of free space

2. rebooted the device, tried changing the IP address (and apply/reboot system) x2

3. Finally, my laptop pinged the panel, so I tried setting the CPU ip address again and applied the change (reboot)

4. Connected laptop to panel via UniLogic, and downloaded my application ( "Download ALL")

Now I can finally get to controlling several linear actuator controllers via Ethernet (unfortunately no information in the manuals to tell you what the Class and Instance of the devices are though, but Ill contact IAI  (Intelligent Actuator Industrial) if I cant figure it out.

----------------------------------------------------

and 

---------------------------

it happens quite a lot. happens if your program version doesnt match the firmware and software version of your PLC. You have to upgrade your PLCs program to match the version of unilogic you have on your computer. THEN, you have to upgrade the unitronics PLC to the same version. You will have to grab a flashdrive with about 16 GB of memory, copy the firmware files to the flashdrive, (wait for about 20 minutes for that to complete), then plug the flash drive into your Unistream PLC, upgrade PLC from the usb slot. Wait 30-40 minutes for that to complete. Finally, with your laptop or computer connected to your unistream PLC, go to remote update on unilogic. Youll see your PLC pop up on the list of devices you can connect to. go ahead and initiate that followed by a reboot. Youll finally be able to download your program to your plc.

Unilogic software version has to match your program version which has to match your PLC firmware version. 

1. update unilogic

2. update your program

3. copy firware to usb

4. connect usb to PLC and update plc firmware

5. connect PLC to laptop and run remote update

6. reboot

PLC should boot up fine, be discoverable by your laptop, and go online with

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached are the pictures of the OS and CPU versions on the HMI.

Thanks!

IMG_1760~photo.HEIC IMG_1761~photo.HEIC IMG_1762~photo.HEIC

• MVP 2023
15 minutes ago, Prem Lanka said:

You have to upgrade your PLCs program to match the version of unilogic you have on your computer.

Alas, this seems to be the trend.  I don't know if you're familiar with AB RS Logix 5000, but you have to have the right version installed on your computer to even open the program and they don't go backwards - the newest version can't open an older one.  And you have to pay $3K up front plus $1K per year for your subscription.

In a perfect and awesome world, we should be able to continually upgrade our software to the latest and greatest version, we would be totally thrilled with the new version, and the upgrade to the PLC OS would go swimmingly smoothly (and take less than a minute), and we would whistle and skip down the road with our smoothly running system.

I am getting old and cynical, aren't I.😬

Joe T.