Upload the program from PC to PLC

Hi everyone, 

This is the first time I upload the program to the PLC. As the title, I want to upload the visilogic program from PC to the Samba SM35-J-R20 by using RS232 cable, but it shows some errors. 

I am not sure what setting should I put in Communication&OS setting, and do I need to set the Modem Service as well? 

Can anyone help on this? Please advice,  thank you very much, 

• MVP 2023

Your Communication screen should look like this for serial communications (replace "COM 1" with the COM Port you are actually using).

image.png.c83ecdcc1868bba0f753cc3b388bf958.png

You do not need the Modem Service. What errors are you seeing? Are you using a native serial port from your computer, a USB-to-serial converter, or a direct USB connection? Most serial connection problems are caused by not having the right serial driver installed on the computer.

2 minutes ago, Flex727 said:

Your Communication screen should look like this for serial communications (replace "COM 1" with the COM Port you are actually using).

image.png.c83ecdcc1868bba0f753cc3b388bf958.png

You do not need the Modem Service. What errors are you seeing? Are you using a native serial port from your computer, a USB-to-serial converter, or a direct USB connection? Most serial connection problems are caused by not having the right serial driver installed on the computer.

Hi, thank you for your prompt reply.

I am using the same setting as yours. And I am using the COM6.  Here's the error I got.   

For the cable I use, please see the photo (last one), thank you very much. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

10 minutes ago, Flex727 said:

That all looks right except for the D2-DSCBL. That's for Automation Direct, right? A Unitronics programming cable should have been included with your Samba PLC. If you don't have that, I recommend obtaining one from Unitronics or your distributor. 

Yep, you are right, it said Automation Direct on the cable,  so the connection order for 6pins is different from the PLC? I did not receive one from the distributor, see if can fix this problem, thank you very much.

• MVP 2023

The AD cable is totally different than the Unitronics cable.  AD converts serial to TTL, while Unitronics uses standard RS-232. 

Sambas don't come with a cable.  It's one of the things removed in the Vision->Samba downsizing.

You need an MJ10-22-CS35 USB to serial converter if you don't have a serial port and an MJ10-22-CS25 serial programming cable.

Joe T.

31 minutes ago, Joe Tauser said:

The AD cable is totally different than the Unitronics cable.  AD converts serial to TTL, while Unitronics uses standard RS-232. 

Sambas don't come with a cable.  It's one of the things removed in the Vision->Samba downsizing.

You need an MJ10-22-CS35 USB to serial converter if you don't have a serial port and an MJ10-22-CS25 serial programming cable.

Joe T.

Hi, thank you for your reply. There is a serial port on the samba plc, the cables list before are all the stuff I have right now. So I do need another programming cable (RJ 12- RS232 female). I search online, please see the photo attached, is this what I need for the Unitronics Samba version? And  also for the male RS232 to the usb cable, this one shoule be fine right? Please advice.Thank you.

0BFAA7D0-E3AD-498F-AE87-975ED065F5B3.jpeg

• MVP 2023

@Nancygogogo - rather than post pictures when you have a question, it is more helpful if you actually post the link of where you found the information.  Then we can look at exactly what you are looking at.

RS232-CB1 seems to be what the rest of the world is calling this cable.  I've always called it a -CS25, because that's what's on the little RJ-12 to DB9 adapter.  To use the words "telephone style" cable is incorrect, because a telephone cable does not cross the conductors between the RJ12 plugs like this cable does.

This cable is included with every M90 and Vision controller.  They don't include them with the Samba and the Jazz as those products are aimed at OEMs and they do everything they can to cut cost.  I have a large box of them that has accumulated from panels we've built.

So I guess I'll have to get with the global program and change the part number on my price sheet.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023
19 hours ago, Joe Tauser said:

To use the words "telephone style" cable is incorrect, because a telephone cable does not cross the conductors between the RJ12 plugs like this cable does

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I thought that the standard telephone cable (w/RJ11 plug) is wired "reversed" (not exactly like "crossover", but similar), while there is a "data" cable that looks the same that is straight through. The straight through cable will not work for programming Unitronics PLCs, but the reversed standard telephone cable will (at least for Vision). I think the Jazz is different in that it requires the 6 conductor RJ12.

I think I slept a few times since the last time I had to use the -CS25 adapter so maybe I've forgotten something. Like Joe, I have a drawer full of them. Unfortunately, now I also have a drawer full of mini-USB cables.

On 4/14/2018 at 1:12 PM, Joe Tauser said:

@Nancygogogo - rather than post pictures when you have a question, it is more helpful if you actually post the link of where you found the information.  Then we can look at exactly what you are looking at.

RS232-CB1 seems to be what the rest of the world is calling this cable.  I've always called it a -CS25, because that's what's on the little RJ-12 to DB9 adapter.  To use the words "telephone style" cable is incorrect, because a telephone cable does not cross the conductors between the RJ12 plugs like this cable does.

This cable is included with every M90 and Vision controller.  They don't include them with the Samba and the Jazz as those products are aimed at OEMs and they do everything they can to cut cost.  I have a large box of them that has accumulated from panels we've built.

So I guess I'll have to get with the global program and change the part number on my price sheet.

Joe T.

Got it, thank you for your advice. I am new to PLC, so I probably said some words which are not professional, sorry about that... 

Here's the website where I found the CS25 cable:

https://www.colterlec.com.au/product/unitronics-rs232-programming-cable-rs232cb1/