So i have a customer that want to expand some of their existing sites with more IO and the posibility to operate everything from two locations. There is already a vision 1210 on site. Is there an easy way to add a mirrored plc (as screen only) on the new location and expand with more IO ? (need to be able to operate everything from either of the locations. they are 100m apart)

• MVP 2023

Hi Thomas,

There is no way to do a simple mirror.  However, my interpretation of your ask is that the extra IO is being added to the 1210 that is already there.

In that case, you could consider running Remote Access or Remote Operator via a dedicated mini puter and touch screen, linked to the existing 1210.  (Various methods of the connection available) This would/should give you all that you want, and would likely be cheaper anyway.

cheers,

Aus

Thanks alot for the response! 

Do you know of any  industrial grade touchscreen solution that can be mounted in a door front of a fusebox that can run Remote Operator? Im tempted to recommend upgrading to unistream series just to use  VNC server/client solution.

To expand the IO to the new location I just need an endblock and IO expantation block I assume? 

Again thanks alot!

• MVP 2023

I tried setting up a mirrored PLC a few years back.  Since there are two active brains, data synchronization was an absolute nightmare.  I would not recommend it.  Your Remote Operator idea is probably the simplest solution.  If you were starting from scratch a UniStream would be the way to go, but that's a lot of money and effort just to get a remote screen.

As far as an industrial grade touchscreen, your choices are going to be somewhat dictated by your location.  What country are you in?

If the additional I/O is local to the V1210 then all you need is an EX-A2X and whatever modules.  Ask your friendly local distributor to help.

If the I/O is remote from the V1210 then you will need to set up a CANbus drop.

Joe T.

Im located in Norway.

I was thinking an android touchscreen to mount in the front door, but im guessing its hard to find something that wont break under pressure. This will be mounted under deck of a ship so it needs to handle a bit of vibration.

Its remote IO so need the CANbus drop. Hope the distance wont cause any trouble.

• MVP 2023

Google "marine panel mounted pc".  If it's in a boat they don't get to tell you anything is too expensive, because as soon your money-saving idea breaks in rough seas they'll be crawling down your throat.

I did find a panel mounted Android, but I've never used one.

Look hard at the vibration spec.  I sold some contactors to a military contractor years ago and then caught holy hell because they didn't hold up.  They didn't tell me it was for a panel on a vehicle-mounted generator panel.

Joe T.

• 5 months later...

Totally forgot about his thread. I solved it by setting up Master/Slave with their own IO in two locations over modbus. Having master PLC reading and writing raw values of IO every 0.5s. Then setting up password on both the display and locking the other so only one can be edited at any given time. This way both of the plc's can control the whole process with only 1s delay on each of them. WORKS GREAT! added a picture of it. Sorry for the Norwegian notes :)

image.thumb.png.1e64663b090696b74d579c4ee7969b04.png

• 2 weeks later...

I tried running it faster but it didnt tranfer all of the data when I did, so had to slow it down. Not sure why. Here is some of the data that is being tranfered all the time. Yes its ethernet wired between the two PLCs aprox 50 meters in a really hot engine room, and before you ask Cat 6 shielded to ground in one end. :)

image.png.660cbd4f8366d529a6eecc480e0836c4.png