I have a Vision 230. Model No. V230-13-B20B with an I/O module No. V200-18-E1B. The unit is 10yrs old +.  I have need to replace  the controller as the operators have over the years destroyed the front, with like for like but I cannot communicate with it to extract the project/program. I have to use port 1 (RJ plug) and I have used the RS232 straight into the laptop and the RS232 to USB with no success. I have tried all the possible port and baudrates with the same result. Some of the baudrates /port take longer to fail than others that are instant. I have increased the number of tries and timeout. I suspect the port may have failed. Your help will be most gratefully received.

Peter

• MVP 2023

Hi Peter,

If you do not have the program you might be in trouble.  If the program was originally loaded in a certain way, you won't be able to upload it anyway...even with good comms.  However.....for now we'll assume that it is able to be retrieved.  Some thoughts and actions to try:

1)  Go into info mode and navigate to the comms settings.  Find what is being displayed for the 232 port 1 and ensure that your 232 settings are the same.  Try again.  If this doesn't work manipulate the numbers in info mode and try again.  Being a 230, it's possible that com 2 might work as well, but this is age dependent.  Try anyway using the above methods.

2)  I have had annoying occasions where the standard programming cable and adapter doesn't work due to a fault that wasn't there last time!  Check that you are a) using the correct cable and plug, and b) that it is ok.  The adapter is MJ10-22-CS25 running on the standard 4 pin RJ.

3).  Again in info mode, ensure that SB314 is OFF.  If it is ON any PC access is blocked, but this is unlikely as not many people know about it.

4).  Given my first comments about the program perhaps not being able to be uploaded anyway, and if it does turn out that the comms port has actually failed, you could purchase an ethernet card and fit it which will physically give the unit ethernet capability.  The stumbling block here is something I don't know as I've never had to do it......can the port be initialised via info mode so that it can be used?  Normally this is done via ladder code, but I think it would be ok to do it in info mode after adding the card.  But I don't know for sure....I haven't got a unit to try this on.  Someone else will surely chime in on this.  If the ethernet access works, AND the program is set to be able to be read, then you are OK.

Edit:  All of this assumes that the PC's 232 stuff works correctly.  Can you try it on something else to make sure?  And perhaps slow the buffers down?

Good luck.

Cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023

V230's don't have the security the newer ones have - they always burn an upload image.

Regarding your serial communication setup - do you have another Unitronics PLC you can try it out on?  If you've already bought the replacement V230 you can check it out on that. 

There are two RS232 ports on the V230.  Have you tried both?

You can add a third serial port - isolated RS232/485.  The part number for the board is V200-19-RS4X.

Joe T.

I have the 6 pin RJ that was in the panel with the controller. this goes to a 9 pin D connector. I have acquired a serial to USB connector. I have tried the USB port and the serial port, but to no avail.  Ausnan talked about the port settings, did he mean in the laptop or on the controller?,  he also mentioned that a  SB314 needs to be off, where is that?. If the program has been pass worded, would that stop the communication and would it tell me to put one in?. I think I have a problem at the talking to each other problem.

Peter.

11 minutes ago, Joe Tauser said:

V230's don't have the security the newer ones have - they always burn an upload image.

Regarding your serial communication setup - do you have another Unitronics PLC you can try it out on?  If you've already bought the replacement V230 you can check it out on that. 

There are two RS232 ports on the V230.  Have you tried both?

You can add a third serial port - isolated RS232/485.  The part number for the board is V200-19-RS4X.

Joe T.

I have an SM70 +bits and the visilogic work fine on it. The difference is that it used the mini USB where the v230 uses 6 pin RJ connector .

peter.

• MVP 2023

I'm pretty sure your problem is in your serial adapter configuration.

What kind of USB->Serial adapter did you get?  Unitronics offers part number MJ10-22-CS35, which is based on the Prolific PL2303 chipset.  I have had trouble with other adapters that don't use this.

Open up your Device Manager after you've plugged in the adapter and see what port and driver it used.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023
15 minutes ago, peter leeming said:

I have an SM70 +bits and the visilogic work fine on it. The difference is that it used the mini USB where the v230 uses 6 pin RJ connector .

Then I would say it's a driver problem, or you didn't select the correct COM Port in VisiLogic. Your USB-to-Serial device likely uses a different driver and COM Port than the one installed by VisiLogic for the direct USB cable.

The driver is on my laptop is displaying Prolific USB to serial com port  (com 8) the driver date is 25/07/2005, version 2.0.2.1   Is this the correct device?.

One of the previous helpers said the I may need to get the MJ10-22-CS35 from unitronics. Is this correct. Bearing in mind that the controller is easily 10 years old and getting a bit battered.

Peter.

Edited by peter leeming
addidtional text

• MVP 2023
On 5/29/2018 at 4:09 AM, peter leeming said:

I have the 6 pin RJ that was in the panel with the controller. this goes to a 9 pin D connector. I have acquired a serial to USB connector. I have tried the USB port and the serial port, but to no avail.  Ausnan talked about the port settings, did he mean in the laptop or on the controller?,  he also mentioned that a  SB314 needs to be off, where is that?. If the program has been pass worded, would that stop the communication and would it tell me to put one in?. I think I have a problem at the talking to each other problem.

You say this is a 6 pin.  Does it actually have 6 pins/cables on the plug, or 4?  If 6, then it is not the standard cable and perhaps the plc is programmed to do something else on the port, or perhaps the cable itself is not standard.  If possible, try a 4 pin cable in conjunction with the MJ10-22-CS25.  (This adapter is the standard one that connects to a 9 pin serial port)  When I said port settings, I meant on both the plc and the computer.  On the plc there is an "i" button, and if you hold this down you will get into information mode which is where you can access all those bits of information I was talking about, including the SB314.  You might need a password, which is hopefully still the default 1111.  Simply navigate around the various options listed by using the arrow buttons and then the enter button.  Find the comms settings under System/Enter/down arrow 4 times to arrive at Serial Port 1/Enter and the comms settings for the main programming port 1 are displayed.  They should be at the default of 57600, 8bits, no parity, 1 stop and ensure they match.  And whilst you are there, like I said, have a look at com port 2 to try that as well.

Also, ensure that you are actually putting the plug into the "PORT 1" on the PLC, or the "PORT 2" if the port 1 trial fails.

I strongly suggest you have a good look at the Visilogic help file under Getting Started/Downloading Uploading a Project for a thorough understanding of what is needed.

On 5/29/2018 at 4:03 AM, Joe Tauser said:

You are correct, Joe.  Tried it.  But I had thought it had shifted to a choice during an O/S upgrade to enhanced at some time in the past.

cheers,

Aus

PS 
Just noticed it is time for even more cookies for me, Joe!!