Activation in UniStream

Walliemg

I use to be happy about Unistream.

My first project with Unistream was a 7" model with version 1.05 firmware communicating over modbus TCP to 3 servo drives, and that was back in 2014.

And now not so much, and it is not the hardware, it's the required software activation and now it's going to be the soon to be required hardware activation.

I ask why for free programing software to require activation?

No activation, that used to be a selling point for our customers, you just download it and install it and go, simple, easy, because some of our customers would like to look at the code and diagnose problems.

And now you have to activate it in 30 days, well for me it was a pain, I forgot to in the 30 days and it took 5 days to get it activated, now my experience might not be normal but it is what I went through.

And now the hardware will have to be activated too, and quite often I do not have internet access at the job site, for new installs or replacements.

So all of this makes it harder to recommend Unistream, The Allen Bradly PLC's that I have work with in the past do not need hardware activation to work.

From a technicians point of view Unilogic is now the same as Studio 5000, they both have to wrestle with product activation the first time they install it and any time they update there computer. And it's worse for Unistream you will have to activate the hardware soon too and AB hardware you don't.

I hope Unitronics will remove all activation's in the future because to me that was the biggest feature you had compared to larger company's.

Thanks

Wallie

• MVP 2023

"I know nothing of the hardware activation"

https://unitronicsplc.com/activation-faq/

Quote from that page:  "In cases where you download the application via USB (memory stick), you can voluntarily carry out Hardware Activation via  alternative methods"  doesn't seem voluntary at all.....more compulsory.

Answers please, Creators.

cheers, Aus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2014

Perhaps this is incentive to power up and test before heading to site?  However I know there will be situations with remote sites and urgent breakdowns where this feature will be a major pain *if* it is made mandatory.  There is the option of using a mobile and an app, but there are still some parts of the world where there is no mobile phone coverage.  We have customers who like to put PLCs in those places.  It's always a challenge doing dubugging over the phone when the person on site needs to walk (or drive) 10 or 20 or 30 or ??? minutes from the PLC just to make a phonecall.

I notice in the link above:  "At present Activation is not mandatory, and will not restrict the controller’s operation. Activation may be made mandatory at a future date."

• MVP 2023
2 hours ago, Simon said:

I notice in the link above:  "At present Activation is not mandatory, and will not restrict the controller’s operation. Activation may be made mandatory at a future date."

Yes, Simon.  But if you read the fine print a bit more in depth, it appears that it is only referring to then doing it via the different method, with the process still actually needing to be done.  Perhaps I have misinterpreted this, but the entire thing needs comment from the Creators.  And sadly nothing has appeared yet, even though I have asked repeatedly.

My comment privately made to others is whether the activation need will be burnt into the chips of components from now on.  If not, it could be very advantageous to stick with older versions of Unilogic.

cheers, Aus