File save issue with 9.8.79 Beta

I did not intend to install the Beta version yet, but I was forced into it by a client who sent me a file that the production version would not open. I have experienced a problem when saving another file as I edit it, and I am not sure where to post this. It usually works fine, but every so often, I get an error message saying it can't save it and suggesting I save it as a different name (at the moment I can't create the problem to get the exact wording). When I do that, it appears to work, but when I look in the directory there is no file. What is worse, if I point to an existing file, I get the expected warning that it exists, I say ok, and it apparently deletes it because it is gone when I look for it.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I am running Windows 10 64-bit.  The file is one that I created a a few versions back, and have modified along the way with no issues until now.  Thanks.

• MVP 2023

I have experienced a disappearing file once with the Beta a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I was just going crazy.

It's quite hard to troubleshoot a problem that involves going into non-existence with no idea of the trigger.

I don't agree with the posting of the Beta software prominently on the download page.  People new to the product click on that and download it without realizing what it is.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

Agree with both of you on this re beta shouldn't be priority, but also just wondering if the file actually exists somewhere else?  Have you done a system wide search for the file, or even just an extension search and see if it is anywhere else?

I have had occasional instances in general windows use where a file has not been saved where I told the system to do it.  This seemed to happen if there was more than one instance of explorer going on, and I also thought I was going nuts.  It wasn't until I discovered the file sitting in something like My Documents etc, which I normally never use, that I started to investigate.  It would appear that sometimes when windows wanted the extra explorer to run, somehow the file system got a bit out of whack.  Another of those "this shouldn't happen, but it does and there is no pattern to it" type of issue.

cheers, Aus

Good thought. Search did not find the missing file.  I just ran another test. Saved my file as "Junk test.vlp". Made a revision. Pressed the save button, and got the error message  "Save Project has Failed. Try to save the project under another name. Error number (508)." Saved it as "Junk2 test.vlp".  When I looked in the directory, "Junk test.vlp" was gone. The new file was there.  Saved it again as "Junk3 test.vlp".  No error, and both files then existed. Closed and reopened the Junk3 file and got several error windows in sequence... "Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure". "The connection is reset by remote side". 1Invalid operation at current state9".  But it then opened. When I tried to save it, I got the same warning as previously, saved it as "Junk4 test.vlp", and the Junk3 file disappeared.  So the old file disappears. And previously when I saved it as the same file name, that one disappeared.

This could be a corrupt file. But it all started when I installed the Beta version.  And I did that because of a different file that was sent to me that was database 135, and the previous Visilogic release version was database 134 (working from memory on those numbers) so the file would not open. I have also been working on that file and it has not had any problems. But both of these files are now the newer database so I don't believe I can go back to the previous release version of Visilogic, without reverting to an older file revision and recreating the changes I have made. When I do save the file successfully it appears to run just fine in the panel (V1210), but this disappearing act is not good.

I may need to contact Unitronics help desk and see what they can do.

• MVP 2023
On 1/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, Joe Tauser said:

I don't agree with the posting of the Beta software prominently on the download page.

I wish Unitronics would stop doing this. It's perfectly fine to have the beta version available for experienced Unitronics programmers to experiment with, but it should not be the default version for general programmers to use for production purposes.

• MVP 2023

These messages reek of the issue I discovered ages ago and wrote about on the forum, I've forgotten where,  where Visi seemed to open the comm port for no reason at all on opening the program.  Wondering if that might be the case, and the program is getting confused as to where it is meant to be doing things. 

Regardless...... @Cara Bereck Levy....have you read the thoughts on not having the beta prominent?

cheers, Aus  

• MVP 2023

I found the topic I wrote on: 

I don't know whether it still happens on later versions.  And the question arises for bm....were you hooked into anything else on your pc ports at the time?  I think it is all clutching at straws a bit, but who knows...might be helpful to pinpoint the cause.

cheers, Aus

I hadn't thought to check that at the time. I don't think the serial port was connected to anything, although it goes through a switch box to one of several PLC's (Allen-Bradley & Unitronics). It appears it was in a dead position, but I can't be sure it was always that way. I reverted back to Visilogic 9.8.65 so I can work on some other projects without messing around. Even the BETA uninstall was not easy. I had to use a third party cleaner but it got the job done. That leaves me with two projects that are the newer database that I can not open at the moment. I am going to install the Beta on another computer and play with it some more.  I am also going to ask the help desk if they can modify those project files back to the previous database.  I would rather wait with ".79" until it is stable. I have already alerted the affected clients. While I enjoy challenges, none of this pays the bills!

Thanks to the group for the help. 

• MVP 2023

Joe has just replied whilst typing this. 

I am also just wondering whether you being on W10 is actually the culprit here.  M$oft dicks about with all sorts of things so often (and without really telling you) that perhaps the blame is being incorrectly laid, and you have been subject to an update that is the real reason?  @Joe Tauser, what W version were you on when you had your issues?  ...from memory you are another W10 hater.

And whilst I'm on the anti 10 bent again, I repeat my suggestion to all of using Winaero Tweaker to stop some W10 annoyances.

cheers, Aus

Yeah, I have thought about that Windows 10 thing also. Unfortunately, I updated all of my computers from 7 & 8.1 to 10, leaving just a couple of old XP machines. While I am not a lover of Microsoft, I must admit that Windows 10 overall has been pretty solid with regards to running all of my controls-related programs (PLC's, HMI's, etc.).  And I have had no problems with Visilogic up until now. But fighting to uninstall that Beta made me think that maybe the installation was corrupt. I am just gun shy about reinstalling it on my main computer. 

Joe, thanks for anticipating my question to them about rolling back the database. Now I will just send the files and ask them to do it.

Ben

• MVP 2023
16 minutes ago, bm_engineering said:

I am just gun shy about reinstalling it on my main computer. 

It doesn't take too long to do a full partition(s) copy just in case!!   You chicken...you!    😉

But I know exactly where you're coming from.  It is mightily annoying having to spend (lots of) time fixing an issue that shouldn't have happened on your perfectly running, stable system.

cheers, Aus

On 1/30/2019 at 11:36 PM, Ausman said:

These messages reek of the issue I discovered ages ago and wrote about on the forum, I've forgotten where,  where Visi seemed to open the comm port for no reason at all on opening the program.  Wondering if that might be the case, and the program is getting confused as to where it is meant to be doing things. 

Regardless...... @Cara Bereck Levy....have you read the thoughts on not having the beta prominent?

cheers, Aus  

Thanks for tagging me. @Ausman

I'll check into a re-design of the download page.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:54 AM, bm_engineering said:

Yeah, I have thought about that Windows 10 thing also. Unfortunately, I updated all of my computers from 7 & 8.1 to 10, leaving just a couple of old XP machines. While I am not a lover of Microsoft, I must admit that Windows 10 overall has been pretty solid with regards to running all of my controls-related programs (PLC's, HMI's, etc.).  And I have had no problems with Visilogic up until now. But fighting to uninstall that Beta made me think that maybe the installation was corrupt. I am just gun shy about reinstalling it on my main computer. 

Joe, thanks for anticipating my question to them about rolling back the database. Now I will just send the files and ask them to do it.

Ben

Hello there :)
I just spoke with the head of the Support department (8:30 on a Sunday is the beginning of the working week here in sunny Israel)

He asked if you were running VisiLogic as an administrator (all of our programs should be run this way.
If so, and you are experiencing these difficulties at any rate--please contact Support, either by writing to support@unitronics,com or by opening a ticket here: https://support.unitronics.com/index.php

They are trying to reproduce the problem as we speak--we will be releasing an official version in the near future, so if there's a bug, we are going to stomp it immediately.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thanks for reporting your problem :)

• MVP 2023
16 hours ago, Cara Bereck Levy said:

He asked if you were running VisiLogic as an administrator (all of our programs should be run this way.

I still do it manually myself, but I thought the installer system had been changed so that this was being done automatically since a few versions ago?

cheers, Aus