Vision Bricked? Issues and How to resolve. (originally was V570-57-T20B-J Bricked)

Can anyone offer me some guidance? I purchased a 570, installed my ethernet card, established serial comms, tried to download the ethernet code, and realized I needed to upgrade the firmware. 

The following disaster occurred:

Visilogic crashed while downloading the OS to a brand new V570 at 57.6K baud. 

This unit is a touch-screen without keyboards.

The unit will not power up. There is no beeping, It is dead.

I tried power cycle and holding screen for 5 seconds and tapping twice as suggested here. It is dead. 

How can I revive this unit and get on with my project.

Any advice is welcome.

Ben

• MVP 2023

Hi BTR,

It sounds like you have consulted info and appear to be doing the right things.  Other chances.....

Tried different areas of the screen for the hold touch for bootstrap?  Touch a bit longer?

Have you been doing the reboots with nothing connected at all?  ie physically remove all comms connections and wait 20s.

Tried pulling battery for a few minutes?

And incidentally, what Visi version were you using, and on what Windoze?

cheers, Aus

Hi;

Have you tried :      Connection -- Communication-PC Settings

6th Tab -  System Mode  -- Get  ?

if it responds, then switch to Factory Boot and then try the OS Download again

Also - V570's like to communicate at  115,200 Baud

Dan

Issue is resolved. As Dan T suggested,

1. Power off.

2. Touch screen until power cycled On for over 1 second.

3. Tap screen several times.

4. Go to Connection in Visilogics.

5. Go to Communication -PC settings and select 115200k baud (i had used 57.6k, which may have caused the problem). select Get to confirm the unit is communicating.

6. Proceed with os download as before.

Just for clarify:

1. Power was never an issue. The plug was firmly attached, and I noticed the draw on my v130 dimming every time I plugged in the v570.

2. My confusion was in expecting some visual response after the power cycle and tapping routine. When the unit stayed black screened, I panicked. I should have tried to connect to it. 

3. Thanks to Tom from tech support for stepping me thru.

all good now.

• Like 1

• MVP 2023

Good.  And good info Dan, I was thinking along the lines that absolutely nothing was happening.

I'd like to pin this with a slightly changed name if no-one objects, as I always remember previous topics that have this sort of thing mentioned during discussion, but can never find them easily.  It is the sort of thing that needs to be prominent for users in "distress".

cheers, Aus

I have no objection to changing the name. I was pretty impressed with how the system recovered, and how you all swung in to action to get me going again. My main objective is to make sure others have an easier time getting going. 

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Btw, it is nearly impossible to hard-brick a V570 or any of the enhanced PLCs.

The PLC has a piece of un-programmable software/code which handles the initial load of the PLC. Even if you erase the entire FLASH / MMC of the PLC, this software will still remain, and it will allow you to burn the FPGA, Boot as OS.

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2019 at 1:53 PM, DanT said:

Hi;

Have you tried :      Connection -- Communication-PC Settings

6th Tab -  System Mode  -- Get  ?

if it responds, then switch to Factory Boot and then try the OS Download again

Also - V570's like to communicate at  115,200 Baud

Dan

Greeatings I have vision V280 and I have problem.

I do upload program and povver supply in this moment going off , in the middle , vvhen i povver on my vision i havnt anythin on screen , have you some solution ?

• MVP 2023

Is the screen totally blank?  For starters, look in the Help under topic "bootstrap" on how to get the PLC into a mode where it will be more cooperative.

A V280 is a standard PLC, as opposed to a V570 which is an enhanced unit.  The suggestions here don't necessarily apply.

The default baud rate for a V280 is 57600.  Visilogic does not automatically try this baud rate, but relies on what the user sets it to.

Joe T.