Adding an additional Screen to an existing system

I have a customer that has requested that we add an additional Unistream Screen to an existing system so operations personnel can now control from two locations. My original thought was to use the same graphics and the only logic in the second screen is collecting I/O. After it was collected then pass information with IP or Modbus.

I am however open if there are better options. I have another customer that is looking possibly to do basically the same but on a fairly larger scale. Any insight  on the best practices would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi;

You can use another UniStream HMI    -- Same model as the main, and without the CPU Module.

Connect the 2 via Ethernet and use VNC  to control the main from the remote.

No user  screens to modify, they sync themselves. 

You do not have the load any program into the remote.  VNC  does all the work.

Dant

• Like 1

• MVP 2023
8 hours ago, DanT said:

No user  screens to modify, they sync themselves. 

Given this capability, (which I think is great) depending on intended usage and what is actually being controlled, would you not need to add in some sort of user limitation to prevent operational clashes from each screen?  eg Joe T on screen 1 is doing something so Aus on screen 2 is prevented from doing input for a minute.

cheers, Aus

DanT Thank you for the suggestion. I think this is what the customer is after. Cheap and quick!

Now as far as being able to have two screen bother control the same application.

The other Customer with medium size project.

In this project there are several HIM screens. He wants two operators to be able to monitor and control the process from two separate screens. Basically the second screen has independent control. They can both work on the same or different screens.

I've done this before but is was not a large application.  The one I did I just used EthernetIP and passed information back and forth.

This one is definitely larger and I was hoping for quicker and easier if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks again!

• MVP 2023
On 8/24/2019 at 6:33 AM, Mark s said:

He wants two operators to be able to monitor and control the process from two separate screens.

This is the same as having 2+ people in a car with duplicated sets of steering, brake, throttle etc;   all trying to drive at the same time.   👈👉👆👇 🎆

cheers, Aus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump.

How about adding a new UniStream PLC, let's call it "Secondary" which talks to "Primary" PLC via Modbus TCP, and displays the screens according to your liking?

That way, the "Secondary" has the role of a simple HMI screen, reading values from "Primary", and sending updates when a variable is changed or a button is pressed. While the "Primary" controls the process. 

• 1 year later...

The easiest way -> webserver ! doesn't need to program it, just export the HMI page to the webserver

I'm controlling an office 30000m², a production facility 65000m² and a garden 30000m² with several HMI panels(+-20 simple android tablets+ several smartphones) that are accessing just the built in webserver......

Not just with one PLC but with 10 unilogic PLC's and +- 40 URB-TCP adapters, all communicating with each other via ethernet/IP, modbus and OPCUA