Shaft encoder - best option?

bjarni

Hello, I have an Unistream panel and EX-RC1+ D16A3-RO16 + LC3 units hooked to it via CAN bus.  I have to read position from an encoder (with A, B and Zero inputs) and wonder if someone here would give me an suggestion regarding hardware for the job?   Should I just add an IO unit (and which one) or could I replace the D16A3 unit with another which also supports  encoder readings?

Thanks, Bjarni

• MVP 2023

I thought the D16A3 could already do what you want.  Quote from Install Guide:

<<<<  Inputs 4 and 6 can function as high-speed counters, frequency measurers, or general purpose digital inputs (set in software).   Inputs 5 and 7 can function either as counter reset inputs or general purpose digital inputs (set in software).   >>>>

If you are wanting to keep up with this read in "real time", you might run into issues due to the delays using the EX-RC1 via a bus.

cheers, Aus

27 minutes ago, Ausman said:

I thought the D16A3 could already do what you want.  Quote from Install Guide:

<<<<  Inputs 4 and 6 can function as high-speed counters, frequency measurers, or general purpose digital inputs (set in software).   Inputs 5 and 7 can function either as counter reset inputs or general purpose digital inputs (set in software).   >>>>

If you are wanting to keep up with this read in "real time", you might run into issues due to the delays using the EX-RC1 via a bus.

cheers, Aus

Yes, but encoder isn't just a counter.  I need to stop/start motor at different positions at predetermined but variable degrees and I believe that I read somewhere  (maybe these forums) that fast counter isn't enough. 

• MVP 2023

Hi Bjarni, happy to stand corrected if needed.   

Someone who really knows should chime in soon, and can whack me around the head with a foam bat as necessary.   I don't routinely work with encoders, so have maybe missed something crucial.  For better info, what is the brand/model of the encoder?

cheers, Aus

Hi;

The IO-D16A3-RO16  High Speed Inputs cannot do  quadrature encoder inputs.

The proper  High Speed module for UniStream is  the UID-0808THS .

There are several "scenarios"  to choose from to work with encoders and High Speed Outputs

An  alternate  is the new    Ethernet IO Modules   -URB-TCP   + URD-0200D   ( 5V Encoders) or  URD-0200E (24 VDC Encoders) 

Read the URP   Manual  -- These are expensive

Note that the EX-RC1  may do the Loadcell Functions, BUT, the EX-RC1  does NOT have any Battery Backup!

You may have to use  POWER  Up Values  once you have the setup values defined properly.

DanT