Update 1.25 to 1.28

bobnorway

There is NO! warning given that updating pc software from 1.25 to 1.28 requires a re-load of the plc!

A quick program change for me has evolved to an hour long hasle with: (1) ethernet cable no connection!,

(2) usb cable no connection,  (3) then to usb memory stick! 

First by pc programming a memory stick then plc programming from uniapps takes time!

And if I didn't happen to find a 'correct' stick to do this with in my bag?

Dear Unitronics the plc control is serious business! Damaging the customers production line costs money!

You can NOT play with systems in this way! 

Any software version change which is so serious must be preceeded by a clear warning.

Bob Clarke

• MVP 2023

Why did you update the PC software?

2 hours ago, bobnorway said:

plc control is serious business! Damaging the customers production line costs money!

Totally agree with this. That's why I ALWAYS maintain the same version programming software as used in the installed system unless there is some overwhelming necessity for updating, in which case I will be prepared for all the machinations required to update the PLC.

I agree as well. Sometimes we have no choice but to upgrade, as in my case. I have a customer now wanting to use the new "headless" PLC which requires new software.

I have installed programs in the field  based on 1.25.61.

I only use one laptop and Unitronics will only allow me to keep one version of their software installed. This is a problem when it cost me extra time to either remove and reinstall software, or spend the time updating firmware. 

If they would let us keep multiple version installed it would help those of us that use multiple of thier PLC's.

Now back off to my original reason for coming to forums, try and find out why I can not connect via USB or network either.....

Robert Rinehart

• MVP 2023
18 minutes ago, Rinehartrr said:

Unitronics will only allow me to keep one version of their software installed

This is not true. Right now I have 13 versions of VisiLogic  and 8 versions of UniLogic installed on my PC. I switch between them with ease.

With VisiLogic, you have to use Version Swapper, which takes about 5-7 seconds. With UniLogic, it's only a matter of clicking the correct shortcut for the version I want to run.

"They just do not tell you that you can make a shortcut to the older version and still run it."

Huh??

When you run the installer of a new version it has a checkbox (which is checked by default) to keep old version, and a shortcut is being added to your desktop (as far as I remember. If the shortcut is not added, then maybe something was broken with the installer).