Bluetooth communication with PLC

• MVP 2023

I have a customer who is inquiring about obtaining some data from a PLC using Bluetooth. searching the Unitronics website has been fruitless. Searching the Forum returned someone mentioning a com module V100-17-BT1, which I can find no other mention of.

Does Unitronics have any capability to communicate via Bluetooth?

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, kratmel said:

find doc in french

http://www.pl-systems.fr/wa_files/bluetoothinstallation_022016.pdf

but no com module with BT on Unitronics site :(

Thanks, @kratmel. The person in the Forum post I mentioned was French, so this makes some sense. Apparently Unitronics was able to obtain radio electronics approval in France but didn't pursue anywhere else.

• MVP 2023

FWIW Flex, I once had a special 232 2.4GHz wifi link fail and tried to replace it with 232-bluetooth modules on a different brand of plc.  The theory was that I could use the same type of bluetooth sender on a series of identical, hard to access plcs in the business, and would be able to simply hook into each of them using the onboard bluetooth in the laptop by being near them.  Perhaps things have improved, and perhaps it was a quirk of the plc brand, but I could never get it to work properly.  I spent a lot of time trying.  The nearest I got to a reliable link was in using 2 of the units as a matched pair, with one attached to the PC, which sort of defeated the purpose.  But it wasn't reliable anyway, it would connect and then drop out and repeat etc.  It might have been ok for an occasional data transfer, but I needed to change programs regularly and be able to do precise manual manipulation, and it simply wouldn't get anyway near capable of doing this.  So I had to go back to the original method which turned out to be another problem as they didn't make them anymore!

I have the modules stashed away somewhere and will try to find time to give them a go on a 130 serial.  This might take a week if you can wait that long.

The other relevant question is how are they wanting to do this?  What will they be reading it with?

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
26 minutes ago, Ausman said:

I have the modules stashed away somewhere and will try to find time to give them a go on a 130 serial.  This might take a week if you can wait that long.

No problem with the wait. Many thanks for the help!

26 minutes ago, Ausman said:

The other relevant question is how are they wanting to do this?  What will they be reading it with?

Yeah, that's the $64,000 question I don't have an answer to yet. The request is from my customer's customer and I haven't got the details yet. But I heard Bluetooth and thought I should at least get educated on it so I can respond realistically.