Can't connect PC to US5-B10-RA28 via USB or Ethernet Cable.

C_R_PLC

Not sure what's causing this but I'm just about out of ideas. On my previous laptop I was able to connect to the PLC via USB after a bit of trial and error, but while testing a program the motherboard on that computer fried and on this new one I've had absolutely no luck so I'm stuck uploading with a flash drive which is not ideal. The PLC itself seems to work perfectly other than this connection issue but I am worried that something about whatever happened to that laptop damaged something the PLC, but it seems unlikely.

So far I've tried:

1. Fully turning off the firewall.
2. Allowing the Unitronics Unilogic and Unitronics.Notifier through the firewall.
3. Connecting the USB/ethernet cable at all stages of start-up.

For the ethernet cable connection I'm using a USB -> Ethernet adapter, which may influence it in some way but my laptop doesn't have a built-in ethernet port. Running Windows 10, Unilogic is fully updated, and the firmware on the PLC is fully updated.

• MVP 2023

Does your ethernet adapter communicate to networks/WAN/www normally if you use it that way instead of wireless?   Any error here might point you in the right direction.  Perhaps the adapter needs to work with a crossover cable. 

And  in re-reading your post, I'm assuming that the adapter is USB at the laptop side with an ethernet out?   This seems different to what you say here:

On 12/4/2019 at 2:10 AM, C_R_PLC said:

On my previous laptop I was able to connect to the PLC via USB

Or were you using the same adapter?

cheers, Aus

On 12/5/2019 at 12:24 AM, Ausman said:

And  in re-reading your post, I'm assuming that the adapter is USB at the laptop side with an ethernet out?   This seems different to what you say here:

Sorry, originally I only used USB -> Micro USB for any PLC connections, I got the USB (PC) -> Ethernet purely as an alternative when I couldn't get the USB -> Micro USB method to work in hopes that it was just something with that port on the PLC.

Does your ethernet adapter communicate to networks/WAN/www normally if you use it that way instead of wireless?   Any error here might point you in the right direction.  Perhaps the adapter needs to work with a crossover cable. 

I haven't tested the adapter on my PC for internet connectivity, will test that today.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb+to+ethernet&qid=1575641655&sr=8-4

This is the adapter that I'm using currently. The USB -> Micro USB cable is just the one that comes with most of the Unilogic/Visilogic PLCs.

• MVP 2023

Does the standard micro cable show up in com ports in device manager when plugged in?  Tried another cable to ensure it is not a cable issue?  I have had many micro cables that lose good pin connections through careful, gentle use.  Frustrating!  Perhaps I need to start being rough with them!

cheers, Aus

On 12/6/2019 at 5:41 PM, Ausman said:

Does the standard micro cable show up in com ports in device manager when plugged in?  Tried another cable to ensure it is not a cable issue?  I have had many micro cables that lose good pin connections through careful, gentle use.  Frustrating!  Perhaps I need to start being rough with them!

cheers, Aus

So as an update I tested the standard PC -> PLC USB connection on a new US5-B10-RA28 that we're using at an installation and everything connected instantly as expected, so it definitely seems to be something with the PLC itself. May need to just warranty it and accept that it's not something I can fix at this point.

• 2 years later...