Ethernet initialization problem on V130

Hi,

I'm a veteran user of the V280 and connecting to it via Ethernet. I have never had any issues.

It's my first time setting up an Ethernet connection on a V130, on a different network than the V280s, and I'm having a HELL of a time getting it to work. The V130 recognizes that the Ethernet card exists (SB 141 is on), but the Ethernet card won't initialize (SB 142 is off), and none of the sockets will initialize (SBs 143-146 are off).

I've followed the Ethernet webinar exactly, except for the IP address of course, in coding my ladder.

I have one ladder rung with the -| |- (SB 2) ----->(PLC NAME) ------> (TCP/IP CARD INIT) ---->(TCP/IP SOCK INIT Socket 1), and that's my entire program.

I cannot connect using the "Communication and OS" or "Communication - PC Settings" window.

My communication settings are:

Type: TCP/IP (Call)

Project Settings:

IP Address: 192.168.10.3

Protocol: TCP

Port Number: 20256

PLC Name: LC

TimeOut: 4 sec

Retries: 3

Direct Connection

I'm using:

VisiLogic 9.3.0 Build 0

Model: V130-33-RA22

Hardware Rev: A

PLC NAME: LC

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.10.3

SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

DEFAULT GATEWAY: 192.168.10.1

The IP address is a static IP address, not DHCP. I've tried DHCP also, and it doesn't work either.

The V130 is connected to a D-Link switch, which is connected to a Motorola Modem/Router combo (Model: SBG901).

All cables are secure and checked with other computers for functionality.

I can neither ping the V130 from my computer, nor from the router.

Socket: 1

Protocol: TCP

Local Port: 20256

Slave

I have been searching this forum and the Help documents for clues, as well as on tech support with the router company, but I can't figure this out.

If anybody can help me, I would be eternally grateful.

Richard

Hi,

First check in INFO mode whether the configuration indeed took affect.

Press on the <i> key for 4 seconds --> password 1111 --> communication --> Ethernet --> IP

Then in order to check whether the problem is not related to the switch - connect a cable directly from the PLC to your PC and try to ping it.

• External Moderators

Don't feel bad. I've done it, people I know personally have done it, people here have reported doing it - it happens alot.

And on that note, to the Uni design gurus - I know, I know, we're supposed to be engineers and technicians and we should at least be able to read the little labels on the sides of the units. But we're still humans, and we get excited about our new toys and we goof up.

Human nature being what it is, it's inevitable that people will continue plugging the enet cable into the expansion port, and I can count at least 20 hours (mine, another fellow I know, and now Rick) that have been lost on this.

Sometime in the future, it might be a good idea to change the form factor of the expansion adapter away from RJ-45. Just sayin'.

TM

Don't feel bad. I've done it, people I know personally have done it, people here have reported doing it - it happens alot.

And on that note, to the Uni design gurus - I know, I know, we're supposed to be engineers and technicians and we should at least be able to read the little labels on the sides of the units. But we're still humans, and we get excited about our new toys and we goof up.

Human nature being what it is, it's inevitable that people will continue plugging the enet cable into the expansion port, and I can count at least 20 hours (mine, another fellow I know, and now Rick) that have been lost on this.

Sometime in the future, it might be a good idea to change the form factor of the expansion adapter away from RJ-45. Just sayin'.

TM

Ditto on all these points!

Our customer just blew up a servo motor encoder because he plugged the encoder cable into the "Encoder Out connector" instead of the "Encoder in Connector". Manufacturer thought it was a good idea to use the same gender 15 pin D connector for both, and put them both right next to each other on the bottom of the drive. It's just asking for trouble.

And yes, I've Ethernetted the expansion port myself a couple time. Thank goodness the circuitry is such that it doesn't damage anything.

D