Visilogic & Computer Resources

I am beginning to suspect a pattern regarding Visilogic and PC speed running under XP pro. It seems as though if you are online with the Unitronics controller via a TCP connection that over time it brings the operating system to a crawl.

After having taken Visilogic Offline and closing the program all together my PC went back to normal.

There seems to be something Visilogic is doing that continues to munch away at system resources as time goes by.

Anyone else notice anything similar?

D

Haven't seen that behavior - I left VisiLogic 8.6.1 running overnight with a TCP/IP connection doing monitoring of 40 SI variables plus some ladder, no apparent difference in operation after 14 hours. Then again, I don't know that my system is the best testbed, since it's running XP under VirtualBox on a Linux host - but that does give me more ability to see what system resources XP is using. Are you running the latest VisiLogic?

Haven't seen that behavior - I left VisiLogic 8.6.1 running overnight with a TCP/IP connection doing monitoring of 40 SI variables plus some ladder, no apparent difference in operation after 14 hours. Then again, I don't know that my system is the best testbed, since it's running XP under VirtualBox on a Linux host - but that does give me more ability to see what system resources XP is using. Are you running the latest VisiLogic?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm running 8.6.0. It's tough finding these types of anomolies. Especially with all the variables regarding operating systems, service packs, hardware, security settings, anti-virus,etc.) It's bizarre ....... Visilogic (and everything else) will grind to a crawl. I'll close it, re-open it, and all of the sudden everything is happy again. Thanks for putting the theory to test at least. It's helpful even to know that it is not that way for anyone else.

Damian

Yep, this sort of thing can make you crazy. On my XP instance, I'm not running any firewalls or virus scanners/checkers, and I have many of the standard XP services turned off - on your system, it may well be an interaction with a firewall or some system service, or it could be as simple as a bad ethernet switch. Do you have to close VisiLogic to get this to happen, or does just stopping monitoring (or powering down the PLC) clean things up? Have you tried leaving a system monitor window up to see whether it's the VisiLogic process that's hogging the CPU, or some system process?