I have found a few annoying quirk with the image selection routine in Visilogic.

First, it doesn't give you just a simple text box for which to enter a file path.

Second, I can't browse inside any folders on my "desktop". In fact, it doesn't even show the existence of subfolders on my desktop.

Thirdly, and most bizarre of all, it won't even allow me to navigate to my "Documents and Settings" folder right on my C drive.

Instead of just using the standard windows selection tools, it seems visilogic has programmed in some customized file selection windows that limits me from accessing things that should not be limited.

I find myself wasting a lot of time moving image files around to a place where Visilogic will allow me to access them.

• MVP 2014

Hi Damian,

Visilogic 9.3.0 introduced this new Graphics Navigation panel.

http://www.unitronic...n%20Changes.htm

I must say I am not sure what advantages it offers. As soon as I encountered it, I had a similar experience to you and went in search of how to turn it off. Maybe it looked a little prettier once an image folder was in view, but the shortcomings in actually navigating to folders were more noticeable than any improvement.

See image below for details on how to turn it on/off (go to menu Project -> Properties)

post-16-036044100 1314229668_thumb.jpg

Hi Damian,

Visilogic 9.3.0 introduced this new Graphics Navigation panel.

http://www.unitronic...n%20Changes.htm

I must say I am not sure what advantages it offers. As soon as I encountered it, I had a similar experience to you and went in search of how to turn it off. Maybe it looked a little prettier once an image folder was in view, but the shortcomings in actually navigating to folders were more noticeable than any improvement.

See image below for details on how to turn it on/off (go to menu Project -> Properties)

post-16-036044100 1314229668_thumb.jpg

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. I tried unchecking the image browser like you mention, but Visilogic continues to use it. Even re-booting Visilogic doesn't help. Have you tried navigating for an image since the time you unchecked it? Can you confirm that unchecking it actually had the desired effect?

Thanks again,

D

Hi,

Unitronics R&D fixed this issue and it will be ok with the next VisiLogic version (9.3.1).

hopefully next week.

Cheers,

Just to be clear, there are two issues here.

1) The proprietary navigation window restricts you from viewing all necessary locations.

2) The option for disabling the proprietary navigation window does not appear to work.

Which of these issues is fixed in the next rev?

Thanks,

D

• MVP 2014

Damian:

Thanks for the info. I tried unchecking the image browser like you mention, but Visilogic continues to use it. Even re-booting Visilogic doesn't help. Have you tried navigating for an image since the time you unchecked it? Can you confirm that unchecking it actually had the desired effect?

Yes it has gone back to the standard Windows file picker. I made the change some time ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP 2014

As a follow up, I had the need to re-enable this custom Visilogic Navigation Panel. It seemed to give me visibility of all the folders I needed. However I quickly found out why I turned it off. In thumbnail mode it takes a long time to generate the thumbnails (5-10 seconds). Each click on the scrollbar re-starts the process. During this time, the HDD doesn't do much, but one of my CPU cores goes to 100% activity. Looking again today, the speed is OK when navigating the standard Unitronics image library. However if I go to one of my image folders, that contain photographs, that's when the time blows out. Presumably this is becuase the Unitronics image lbrary contains images with small file size, in comparison to photos.

FWIW I am running WinXP SP3 with a core2 Duo CPU, 2.2GHz with 3GB of RAM. The standard windows file picker in thumbnail mode updates much faster (less than one second), regardless of whether there were photos involved or not.

As a follow up, I had the need to re-enable this custom Visilogic Navigation Panel. It seemed to give me visibility of all the folders I needed. However I quickly found out why I turned it off. In thumbnail mode it takes a long time to generate the thumbnails (5-10 seconds). Each click on the scrollbar re-starts the process. During this time, the HDD doesn't do much, but one of my CPU cores goes to 100% activity. Looking again today, the speed is OK when navigating the standard Unitronics image library. However if I go to one of my image folders, that contain photographs, that's when the time blows out. Presumably this is becuase the Unitronics image lbrary contains images with small file size, in comparison to photos.

FWIW I am running WinXP SP3 with a core2 Duo CPU, 2.2GHz with 3GB of RAM. The standard windows file picker in thumbnail mode updates much faster (less than one second), regardless of whether there were photos involved or not.

I was having similar issues myself running on Win 7 Ult on a core i7. I don't use pictures much so it doesn't have much opportunity to aggravate me. Hopefully the new version will be out soon so that I can either turn that feature off or that it at least works properly. Mozes never did clairfy whether the problem they were fixing was show all the missing folders, or to fix the problem I have with not being able to turn the feature off as you have done.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...