JZ20-J Clone program

Hello, I have a machine with a JZ20 and I am wondering if I can make a backup of the program using the usb cable and the U90 Ladder software?  This would be to copy the program for a second  PLC which got broken. 

• MVP 2023

A "cautious" yes is the answer.  I haven't done this for a while, and am happy for others who think differently to say so, but this is essentially the process...

You must install the usb driver provided in U90 itself.  Controller/M90 OPLC Settings/bottom of popup.  To ensure it's in ok, reboot and then set the com port settings appropriately for the connection, after plugging in the cabling and using device manager to thus know the port number.  Then try Upload  via Controller/Upload and see what happens.  You will either get somewhere or encounter an issue.  If the connection advises a fail of some sort, retry using the glasses icon right hand side of the buttons menu bar, and select  Display only.  If you don't get anywhere advise back what you encounter.

There is also an actual device that lets you clone programs, MJ20-MEM1, but for now I'd initially be trying the U90 program.

cheers, Aus

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ausman said:

A "cautious" yes is the answer.  I haven't done this for a while, and am happy for others who think differently to say so, but this is essentially the process...

You must install the usb driver provided in U90 itself.  Controller/M90 OPLC Settings/bottom of popup.  To ensure it's in ok, reboot and then set the com port settings appropriately for the connection, after plugging in the cabling and using device manager to thus know the port number.  Then try Upload  via Controller/Upload and see what happens.  You will either get somewhere or encounter an issue.  If the connection advises a fail of some sort, retry using the glasses icon right hand side of the buttons menu bar, and select  Display only.  If you don't get anywhere advise back what you encounter.

There is also an actual device that lets you clone programs, MJ20-MEM1, but for now I'd initially be trying the U90 program.

cheers, Aus

Ausman, you are correct, I installed the driver, connected the JZ20-R16 and got the program all ready to be downloaded to another controller. I did have to restart the PC to get it to work though. This is my first time working with Unitronics and ladder so this should be interesting! 

Thank you so much!

• MVP 2023

Great. 

6 hours ago, Felixs said:

This is my first time working with Unitronics and ladder

Please note the Help file in U90, lots of useful info in there for you to absorb.  Baby steps in learning are the way to go, start with understanding basics and progress from there.  If you get stuck on something more difficult, ask the forum.  But remember that nearly all of us here learnt things through experimenting, trial and error, and progressive knowledge increase.  Read how things operate for the particular operation wanted, and then try out JUST that until you thoroughly know how it works to thus incorporate it into other ladder operations.  U90 is a bit of an older system and has some quirks, but it does the job it's made for.

cheers, Aus

• Like 1