Encoder and position with vision plc

I have a new project that want to use Vision plc. I don't know if I can plug a incremental encoder HS35R with Z (homing). I have a motor with drive and gearbox who connected on the load. The load rotate clock wise but need to stop at 4 positions that the operator enter in the hmi. I would like to know if the vision plc can control a drive with HS35R encoder with Z (homing) for position?

Thanks

• MVP 2014

If you have a second High-Speed counter input available, you can also use that to catch the homing pulse, particularly if you have a very high PPR (pulse per rev) encoder. This method makes it easier to catch a very short pulse, but of course the overall accuracy is still limited by the PLC scan time. Potato, Potahto.

The PPR is 2048 because I need a precision stop load about 1/4 inch. The rotation of the encoder will be 1500 to 1800 rpm. The encoder will be mounting on the motor. The motor is a 1800 rpm and the ratio gearbox is 100:1. The gearbox is a allow shaft.

I will try with a M91 spare unit for the moment! It will be the same program setup on Vision plc?

Thanks

• MVP 2023

You're going to have a problem with this one. 1800 RPM translates to 30 rev/sec - at 2048 pulses/rev the resulting frequency is 61440 Hz - the maximum input frequency is 20 kHz.

If you were to put the encoder on the output shaft of the gearbox your maximum frequency will be 614 Hz, which will work fine. Can you do this? Can you slow the motor down as you approach the setpoint for precise positioning?

No, an M91 is not the same program, but it is similar enough to use for testing the encoder. The maximum input frequency input on an M91 is 10 kHz.

Joe T.

• 4 weeks later...