Can we have 2 versions in one PC?

I have been using Visilogic 8.01 on several PLCs which I need to work on every once in a while. Is it alright to install two versions of Visilogic in my laptop? I can't afford shutting down my other PLCs on site caused by error problems due to differences in versions or OS.

I had a problem like this one time and the version swapper didn't help or maybe I just didn't do it right. The solution was:

1. uninstall the newer version

2. install the old version used by the PLC

3. reprogram the PLC using the old version

4. uninstall the old version

5. reinstall the new version

This was only acceptable under the circumstances at the time. Now, I cannot go through that same process each time.

I'm asking this because I'm about to start on a new project and it might be good to use the latest Visilogic Version at this point.

Thanks

The version swapper does work, but it's a little confusing to set up. You have to override the default settings and install different versions of Visilogic in different directories. Carefully read the Help on how to do it.

Joe T.

So, this means I can install different versions in different directories. If I do this, I guess I can just use the old version on my older PLCs and the new version with my new project, right?

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, it's not too clear whether we are supposed to select modify, repair or uninstall.

I first tried Modify but it didn't change the version 8.01.

Then I tried repair and at the first try I was able to open the newly installed version 8.6.03 and closed it. When I tried to open the shortcut of 8.01 created by version swapper I get "application error". When I run the new version, I getg "runtime error bad collection index"

I will try to uninstall and reinstall the new version and try all over again. Wish me luck

Hi,

If you are not using ZIP file but EXE file for setup then basically you need to change the name of the folder in Program Files/Unitronics from "Unitronics VisiLogic_C" to for example "Unitronics VisiLogic_8_0_1".

Then when you run the setup you choose the option repair. (Now the last version that you installed will be "Unitronics VisiLogic_C")

Usually the error "Bad collection index" occurs due to a feature called UAC (User Account Control)in Vista or Windows 7 .

Are you using Vista or Windows 7?

If yes then download the documnet from the below link which explains how to disable the UAC.

http://www.unitronics.com/data/uploads/VisiLogic_Software_New/Disable%20UAC%20Vista%20+%20WIN7.pdf

I'm using windows 7 and got the UAC disabled. That's working fine.

I am able to get it going ONLY if I register the version swapper each time I want to use either version. Is this correct?

First, I register the version, then run one version first using the shortcut. Then if I run the other version, I will get an error so I need to register it again and create a shortcut. It doesn't create a new shortcut coz the previous shortcut is still there. But this time the shortcut will work. But the other version can't be used unless it is registered again

Is it supposed to be this tedious?

• 3 years later...

Hello! I am new to Unitronics. I have been able to open several Swapper versions in my computer. However, none of the sapper versions fits my need. That is, I am interested in 7.03 The closest Swapper versions is 7.01. So when I try to download the program, I get a warning message stating that that the OS installed in the PLC is not compatible with the software version. Then as posted by others, I erase all software from Unitronics and re-installe 7.03 and works fine. thus my question is: can I run non swapper versions in the Swapper module? and how.

Thanks,

Jose

• MVP 2023

You can actually install Visilogic more than once in separate Visilogic_C directories.  The trick is you have to name each directory differently (i.e. Visilogic_C2) and rename the Visilogic.exe file something else in that directory (Visilogic2.exe).  You can have both copies running at the same time, but you can not copy from one to the other. 

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

I've found that you can even run two copies of the same version of Visilogic simultaneously and connect to two different PLCs simultaneously (I think at least one has to be through ethernet). This can be useful in a networked environment where two PLCs talk to each other and you want to know what is going on in both places.