Remote access my PLC via VNC

mbb

Hi;

I am using this VNC program :

http://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/

Download the version for your computer OS

Put it on the desktop.  There is no install program, it just  runs when you open it.

It will ask for the IP Address,   try   204.225.158.195    :  The connection is NOT Encrypted

-- This a is a UniStream I have hooked on the Internet

It has the Unitronics Unistream Demo Program with a screen I did for myself

( it has a UID-0808R   and a  UID-0402N Modules attached feeding outputs back to inputs)

You can operate the screen like it having the PLC in front of you.

If I see that you are online( The PLC in on my desk) I will interact with you.

What we also found out is that more than 1 can be on at the same time -- an interesting feature for some applications.

It will be up for a a day or so.

You cannot see the program or the logic.

Questions for Unitronics Support:

Can this be made into a secure connection? How?

Is there a way , other than thru Unilogic to view the variables like in Remote Access in Vision Series?

Dan Thomas

Sandtron Automation

• Upvote 1

Hi;

I am using this VNC program :

http://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/

Download the version for your computer OS

Put it on the desktop.  There is no install program, it just  runs when you open it.

It will ask for the IP Address,   try   204.225.158.195    :  The connection is NOT Encrypted

-- This a is a UniStream I have hooked on the Internet

It has the Unitronics Unistream Demo Program with a screen I did for myself

( it has a UID-0808R   and a  UID-0402N Modules attached feeding outputs back to inputs)

You can operate the screen like it having the PLC in front of you.

If I see that you are online( The PLC in on my desk) I will interact with you.

What we also found out is that more than 1 can be on at the same time -- an interesting feature for some applications.

It will be up for a a day or so.

You cannot see the program or the logic.

Questions for Unitronics Support:

Can this be made into a secure connection? How?

Is there a way , other than thru Unilogic to view the variables like in Remote Access in Vision Series?

Dan Thomas

Sandtron Automation

Hi Dan: thanks for sharing your IP. It keeps alive. Now we can chat over the PLC.... Insert 2 Text blocks with keypad enable and then we can chat over Unistream! Please visit www.plc-apps.com and check the Unitronics Developer's Market. They are uploading a +600 3D high quality images for real view HMI displays.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi DanT,

VNC Security:

Can you explain in more details, what do you mean for "Can this be made into a secure connection? How?".

VNC connection will be protected by password.

*"Solution Explorer->Password Management->VNV". Define here VNC access password, Download project to PLC.

Then for VNC connection you have to use password.

Is this level of security OK for you?

Remote View:

There is no analog of Remote access or Remote Operator for Unistream.

What other, then VNC, remote operations do you need?

Please tell more details.

B.R.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

VNC is purely for panel connections.  It is not for programming purposes.

If you wish to remotely download or go online with UniStream products, the unit must be on a network with internet connection.  The modem the unit is hooked up to must have port forwarding set up for connection to the UniStream.

Then, in VisiLogic, when connecting to the unit, you must type the IP address of the modem, and the port the unit is connected to.  Then you will have connection to the unit for access like downloading and going online.

Please note, the modem may need a static WAN IP address to connect to for this scenario.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.

I think the difficulty is to know the WAN IP adress of the modem. In case i am using a GSM modem I think it will always get a new IP from the internet service provider (for each connection).

Do you have any step by step instructions how to set up a remote connection for programming purposes from the programming pc to the unistream plc?

BR

Hello,

Only if you are on the same network, you can connect to the unit by typing the IP address of the unit.

If you are outside the network, the only way I am aware of connecting to the unit is through a static IP address.  You may contact your cellular provider, or internet provider, to acquire more information on how to do this or how to get a static IP address.  Whoever is you internet provider may know of a better solution on how to connect to units on their modem.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/18/2015 at 6:16 AM, s.pratt said:

Hello,

Only if you are on the same network, you can connect to the unit by typing the IP address of the unit.

If you are outside the network, the only way I am aware of connecting to the unit is through a static IP address.  You may contact your cellular provider, or internet provider, to acquire more information on how to do this or how to get a static IP address.  Whoever is you internet provider may know of a better solution on how to connect to units on their modem.

There is more than one solution that provides remote network access independent of the public-facing IP address given by your ISP.  The product I use is an eWON Flexy.  In two weeks I will be in Texas to install Flexies at two remote sites.