Visilogic 9.7 clone files corrupting graphics

There appears to be a potentially serious bug in Visilogic 9.7 that we encountered this week. Graphics are being corrupted in the clone files that we created and loaded from SD cards. We found various strange things such as objects that were not displaying, and in one case an analog gauge with no background but a pointer that sort of worked but left trails. We have seen this on a V1040 and a V350 so it is not hardware dependent. We verified this on several different computers, etc.The same programs work perfectly with a direct transfer from the PC. However, if you are creating clone files, either with or without the operating system, you better check them. Version 9.5 works fine for us and is our interim solution. Version 9.7 has problems. We did not test version 9.6. We have contacted Unitronics about this and are awaiting their response.

I have recently experienced this as well but on V570 units.  The only answer was for my case that I had to connect with a laptop to each and every PLC (14 in total) and update all firmware in the PLCs.  After firmware update I had to download a blank program and then download the original program again.  This is the first time such a thing has happened and specifically it happened with PLCs programmed with Visilogic 9.6 and then using an SD card to put in an updated file where 9.7 was used to make the clone.

The actual program was the same graphics 100% on every screen and the actual program change was in the ladder only.  Best I can figure out, the PLC firmware, BIN, OS and the other files that can be updated when connecting with a laptop and not are possible to update with a cloned file (clones can only have an updated OS imbedded into the file) are playing badly with each other.

I use the clone files exclusively to update customer programs in the field because it is THE ONLY WAY I can protect my intelectual property.  All other methods of getting a new program file to a PLC that is in a customer's location leave me open to the theft of my programs by the customers. (almost 100% of our equipment installations are in the middle of a field somewhere with no data connections and SD cards with clone files work really well, or at least have in the past). 

Before someone tells me that I can make a file that is not viewable by the customer that can be download, I already know this, but what I can not do is lock that file to a single serial number of PLC which is exactly what I require so that customers do not purchase the PLC hardware from Ebay and then just load my program over and over again.

We do not make our customers pay any money for program development up front and in return they do not own any rights to our programs.  I can only recover my programming costs by adding to the price of HMIs sold to that customer. And I won't be able to do that if they get ahold of uncontrolled downloadable program files.

Hi

We have successfully simulated this issue, and referred it to our R&D department for further investigation.

In the meantime, there is a workaround for the issue. Please follow these instructions:

1.       Download the application to the PLC.

2.       After download is complete, go to Info ModeנSDנApplication.

3.       Select Download to SD and enter the code (if any).

4.       The download will take some time but the outcome will be a correct clone.

Hi Eyal, thank you for your response.

Ok so downloaded a program to a new V570 and have gone into info mode.

1) I press SD

2) I press Application

3) And I can not progress any further

Download to SD is ignored when I touch it and the message "Password Missing" is at the bottom of the screen.  I have not put passwords into my projects before, am I required to put a password into the project to be able to do this? 

Also when I am done, will the file be able to be "PLC NAME" locked like I need it to be?

Thanks

Keith

Hi Eyal, thank you for your response.

Ok so downloaded a program to a new V570 and have gone into info mode.

1) I press SD

2) I press Application

3) And I can not progress any further

Download to SD is ignored when I touch it and the message "Password Missing" is at the bottom of the screen.  I have not put passwords into my projects before, am I required to put a password into the project to be able to do this? 

Also when I am done, will the file be able to be "PLC NAME" locked like I need it to be?

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

Try the general password 1111. If that still doesn't work, send the application to support@unitronics.com and I will take care of it

• MVP 2023

He's talking about the SD password, not the Info Mode password. In order to save a program file to the SD card from the PLC, you must have an SD Password function block in the program. The FB should be executed by the Power-up bit (SB2). With that FB in the program, SD files can be saved using the password assigned in that FB.

I got it to work by putting a password into the ladder logic, but I still have the problem of sending uncontrolled files out to end customers.  Can I revert back to 9.6 and make a clone in that version until such time as 9.7 is repaired for the full clone function?

Thanks

Keith