How about an EX-A2 adapter module?

Blitz

So far, the solution offered for expansion I/O's on multiple racks is the use of EX-RC1 remote expansion modules. This is great specially if I/O's are distributed over longer distances.

However, if only 2 or 3 racks are installed on the same panel, the use of EX-RC1 becomes less practical.

So, how about if Unitronics comes up with another local expansion adapter (e.g., say, EX-A2) which would have two (2) RJ-45 connection ports.

For example, three expansion I/O racks on the same panel may be connected as follows:

1. Port1 of Rack1 is connected to OPLC.

2. Port2 of Rack1 is connected to Port1 of Rack2.

3. Port2 of Rack2 is connected to Port1 of Rack3.

4. Port2 of Rack3 is terminated.

5. The connecting cable length is less than 1m.

This results to a 3-tiered local adapter racks on the same panel.

Some benefits of having 1 to 3 local racks are:

- simpler to implement

- I/O data are more readily accessible -- no separate programming is required as when using RC1.

- gives more flexibility on panel mounting (e.g., panel width issues with horizontal module mounting)

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, other solution is to reduce the wight of the expansion modules, maybe a thin expansion module without screws with 32 inputs with the half size of an IO-DI16.

I second the idea of having narrow I/O modules, as in the cigarette pack size from schneider, beckhoff and others. These are approx 4 x narrower than Uni ones.

Our electrician can't figure out why I insist on Unitronics for this reason, and he has a point.

When you look at the PCB's inside a Unitronics module it seems relatively easy to stand them up on end?

I think this "simple" factor could lose Unitronics sales over other vendors.

• 4 months later...

I second the idea of having narrow I/O modules, as in the cigarette pack size from schneider, beckhoff and others. These are approx 4 x narrower than Uni ones.

Our electrician can't figure out why I insist on Unitronics for this reason, and he has a point.

When you look at the PCB's inside a Unitronics module it seems relatively easy to stand them up on end?

I think this "simple" factor could lose Unitronics sales over other vendors.

I agree. A narrow form factor IO would be easy to do by repackaging the modules on edge and moving the LEDs to be visible. Most panel boxes accommodate the depth easily.

• 3 months later...

I too would like to see the ability of multiple racks that are directly addressed from the OPLC.

The current system uses extra operands to mirror the remote IO in the project and also requires more programming of the CANbus communication.

Other suppliers have the ability to expand thier systems using addtional racks.

It should not be necessary to build installations, like the one pictured, where half the IO are expansion (direct address) and the others are remote (mirrored CANbus) when all modules are in the same enclosure.

This is not the first time we have done such a system. Two projects I was involved with required 5 EX-RC1 each, all in the same cabinet.