Is there a guide to connecting to the V350? I cant seem to.

I apologise for the posting here for the second time in less than 24 hours.

My problems have arisen because I have inherited a V350 at work with no user manual or cables. I have managed to get my hands on a USB to Serial converter and a serial to RJ11 cable which I have been using to connect another PLC to my computer. I have it connected to Port 1 on the V350.

My current driver is USB Serial CH340 connected to COM 6. Does anyone know if this is ok? My port settings in windows device manager are:

Bits Per Second: 38400

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: None

When I try and connect in the Visilogic software I put in the settings as:

Connection Type: Serial

PC Port: COM 6

Baud Rate: 38400

Time Out: 4 Seconds

Retries: 12

When I try and connect I get an Communication Driver Error (206)

Does anyone have any ideas?

There is already a program running on the V350 that I want to erase and start afresh. Could that be causing a problem?

Thankyou for your help once again.

Dan

post-49992-0-29674000-1457094285_thumb.jpg

post-49992-0-81436000-1457094285_thumb.jpg

post-49992-0-22621500-1457094286_thumb.jpg

post-49992-0-52128200-1457094489_thumb.jpg

We always recommend using the Prolific USB to Serial drivers, which can be downloaded offline. When in your device manager which drivers are currently being used?

Other than checking the drivers it may also require a Windows setting, such as running as an administrator. If this option is not set than it can cause the communications error that you experienced.

To run VisiLogic as an administrator right click on the VisiLogic.exe file, navigate to the Compatibility tab, and select the check box to run the program as an administrator. Once this is set restart VisiLogic and ensure you are using the same COM port that you computer assigned through the Windows device manager. This should allow you to communicate.

In general any USB-Serial converter should work, though we have heard of issues when using a Gigaware brand cable.

• MVP 2023

I have had problems using USB/Serial converters other than those that use the Prolific PL-2303 chip.  This is what's in the Unitronics MJ10-22-CS35 converter.

Get the latest drivers for it from here:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/index.aspx

Login as guest:guest and click on the "Support" menu item - there's a link to the current drivers on the front page.

Joe T.

Thankyou so much for your help guys.

I have run the program as administrator and it still doesnt work with my cable.

I downloaded the new drivers and used the chip checking tool and it turns out I dont have the 2303 chip in this cable. I have ordered the correct cable so I shall wait for that to arrive before investigating further.

One more question before I go, are the COM settings I posted before OK? Will they match up?

Bits Per Second: 38400

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: None

Connection Type: Serial

PC Port: COM 6

Baud Rate: 38400

Time Out: 4 Seconds

Retries: 12

Thankyou once again guys

Dan

• MVP 2023

The V350 is capable of communicating at a baud rate of 115200. This speed will greatly reduce the program download times over using 38400. Typical values for Timeout and Retries are 2 second timeout and 3 retries. This will also reduce the time you must wait to find out your communications failed.

• MVP 2023

Hi Dan,

have a good read of this post:

http://forum.unitronics.com/topic/3454-usb-rs232-adapator-erro/

It has a lot of helpful pointers, the main one being it is worth spending $ on a genuine prolific based adapter to save headaches.

I am also bothered a little by your "serial to RJ11 cable which I have been using to connect another PLC to my computer" statement.  I would have a good look at google image results following a query for MJ10-22-CS25 and check that the existing pinouts are correct.

cheers,

Aus