Larger Screens Update

Damian

So.......When will you folks be releasing a pricing structure? We will still use the V570 because they fit in the double DIN dash openings found in most trucks now, but we have had many of our current V570 users want a larger display outside the vehicle. Also, besides Q1, what is the estimated availability?

I hope that Q1 means January; pricing should be released during December--sorry I can't be more exact!

Ok--not cute--it's RUGGED! Very, very rugged--you could bring it to a WWF event...Nascar.... :(

I'm relieved. You had me thinking they were going to be pink and purple with little pigtails coming out the sides.

As regards the beta testing, we're covered-- thanks :)

Oh sure Cara, kick me when I'm down!

If you really want to go big...

Come up with a module that has an HDMI output. Then we could plug it into a 50" TV bought at the local electronics store.

YEAH, BABY!!

Joe T.

Yeah, and an extra big port to plug in the video game cartridges.

Anyone need a "mine sweeper" or "solitaire" app for the V570?

10" is hardly "BIG" screen. Definately moving in the right direction but to keep up with other HMI panels I would be more impressed if you were releasing a range of scren sizes up to 19"

:(

Based on projects I have seen and been on, I think the 10" and possibly a 12" will satisfy the vast majority of demand.

• MVP 2014

For me it comes down to the simplicity and elegance of the Unitronics units. Why do users still get excited about a 3.5" colour touch a-la the V350? Maybe becuase it fills their needs in a simple and unique way. IMHO, a screen size above about 12" starts to get away from this fundamental elegance. I would rather see enhancements to the existing range, such as wider range power supplies (10...30V), wider temperature ranges (upper limit of 60 or 65 degrees C) and industrial ethernet protocols such as Profinet and Ethernet/IP.

There are plenty of Modbus HMIs available if big is really required. However, if Unitronics came up with a 19" touch with an elegant look and feel then I am sure it would be a winner. :(

For me it comes down to the simplicity and elegance of the Unitronics units. Why do users still get excited about a 3.5" colour touch a-la the V350? Maybe becuase it fills their needs in a simple and unique way. IMHO, a screen size above about 12" starts to get away from this fundamental elegance. I would rather see enhancements to the existing range, such as wider range power supplies (10...30V), wider temperature ranges (upper limit of 60 or 65 degrees C) and industrial ethernet protocols such as Profinet and Ethernet/IP.

There are plenty of Modbus HMIs available if big is really required. However, if Unitronics came up with a 19" touch with an elegant look and feel then I am sure it would be a winner. :(

Simon,

I agree. I think the market for anything above 12" will drop steeply in volume anyhow. Probably not worth the development costs. In those cases, if they really wanted to amp up the sizes, maybe it would be better to re-label an off the shelf touchscreen and interface it to the guts of a V570.

The Four biggest reasons I often have difficulty getting Unitronics on a job are:

1) 5.7 inch screen often just not big enough (Soon to be solved with the V1040)

2) Limited fieldbus capability (EthernetIP and Devicenet are huge in my neck of the woods) ASIbus, and Profibus are probably next on the list. The hardware to do both EthernetIP and Devicenet is practically already there (ethernet port and CAN port).

3) Poor brand recognition. (This continues to get better, and addressing the two above items would help that tremendously)

4) Limited to 4 ethernet socket connections (as ridiculus as this sounds, it has killed several projects that ultimately ended up being switched to a CompactLogix) If you need fast ethernet control to more than four ethernet based devices your out of luck. This could easily be overcome by EthernetIP.

Ash,

I've heard a lot of good things about Ethercat. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be as wide spread yet. It will be interesting to see the direction Fieldbus takes over the next decade. Maybe QEB (Quantum Entanglement Bus) or SFBAAD (Spooky Fieldbus at a Distance). Wouldn't wireless be wonderful and frightening all at the same time.

• MVP 2014

Hi Ash,

We don't hear much about Ethercat. Knowing a bit about it's evolution from the Beckhoff origins, it seems to be best suited to very high performance applications, like machine tools and other motion control applications. I wouldn't push for it from my point of view.