Using GMX Email Host to Send Emails from PLC

I've done some searching but have not found an answer to this particular problem yet.

I have tried configuring my Unitronics PLC to send email, and have followed the instructions for initializing and connecting the socket connection to a gmx email host. However, I have noticed that when I telnet to the mail.gmx.com server through port 465 (the only port I can connect through), I get a connection for only about 20 seconds before it is 'closed by foreign host'. It seems like maybe the port is not correct? I have tried 25 (which does not let me connect) and 465 because I found those ports online.

I think the same thing is happening in the ladder code, because i briefly get a successful indication of connection, but then it gets reset.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I was under the impression that GMX was a validated email host to use with these PLCs, so am I doing something wrong?

So an update to this. I was able to connect to the gmx web server, but I had to use port 587. The PLC successfully sent several emails after I tested it, but I am getting very inconsistent behavior. Sometimes the email goes through. Sometimes, the socket closes immediately upon starting to send the email. Sometimes (most of the time), I get an error 13 or 15 saying that there was something wrong with my password. I know my password is correct, and I'm not changing anything within the email block when i am running these tests back to back.

Does anyone have experience with these issues?

• MVP 2023

Vision controllers do not support Secure Socket Layer (SSL).  It has become almost impossible to find a mail service that lets you get around this anymore. I see you have tried other ports. Do you know if gmx has a way to not use SSL?  Which protocol are you using?

Often a short (0.5s) delay is needed with dealing with Unitronics communications.  I've had much better luck putting a delay in between connecting the socket and calling the email block.

The other thing you can do is set up a local server such as https://www.hmailserver.com/ to send your PLC mails to which can wrap them in SSL and forward them on.

Yes, I know this is a problem with the Visions.  I've personally talked to the Creators about it and there's nothing they can do: the Visions have been around a lot longer than SSL has.  If you really need reliable email you have to step up to a UniStream.

Joe T.