"Timeout" error after email sent successfully

Eugenio

Hi,
My PLC is UniStream 5” US5-B10-TR22 and the version software of Unilogic is 1.23.25 and I use modem GSM/GPRS for send the e-mail.

When I send emails with big files (photos of 200KB or 400KB), they arrive at destination without problems but appear me the error of "Time Out". Why?
Is it possible to modify system variables so that they don't appear?

• MVP 2023

I know this is likely NOT the answer, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case, and also as an aside of general information:

I notice the plc's time is not correct.  I have had a few instances where I have had troubles communicating b/n devices on a network because their RTCs are sitting on a time that is too far away from real time.  They might be set to update automatically, but something goes wrong there and they either drift or get wrong time info.  Don't ask me the technicalities, it's too far into overall networking architectures for me to grasp, but it does happen and seems to be related to more than an hour.  You ensure time is correct on both ends and the issue and comms miraculously fix themselves.  Magical/devious networking gremlins!

cheers,

Aus

Hi Ofir,

1. The modem is connected with an RS232 cable and a USB adapter.

2. I send two files (one is ".csv" file 217 byte and one is ".jpg" file 209 KB)

Dividing the files in two emails, to the first mail I have attached the ".csv" to the second the ".jpg".
The first email is sent correctly, arrives immediately and without giving any error.
The second email, I tried to attach a light file (191.2KB) or more weight (394.4KB) the result is equal, I get both mails but for the second I get the error of "Time Out". Why?
Thanks

• MVP 2023

Ensure all your comms settings are identical in the 232 side.

And what happens if you "buffer" a delay between the sending of the two emails?  ie Send them separately with a suitable time delay b/n them.  The length of the delay time might need to be trial and errored to see how quickly it can happen...start with something long and gradually make it shorter.

cheers,

Aus

I changed the type of adapter, the problem still exist.

I extended the interval time between the two emails but the problem persists.

I changed the program and tryed to send one single mail with the image. Sometimes the PLC not send the mail, even if the attached is light (1.2 KB) or weight (394.4 KB), I must give the command twice.

In the case of ".csv" file there isn't a problem. At the second time the PLC send the mail correctly. Sended the light file (image of 1.2KB) the error not appear.
The problem is the type and size of file?

Thanks

• MVP 2023
12 hours ago, Eugenio said:

The problem is the type and size of file?

Hmmm.  It would seem that *.jpg might be the problem, like you suggest.  Have you tried doing it without the image, but another csv etc?  Can you have the image generated as a different type of file and see if that works?

Again, an aside and another long shot, I often have jpgs that will not open in my main photo program.  It says they are corrupt.  But if I open them in paint and save them again, the problem goes away.  I've never chased the cause as it is easily fixed....but it does occur and exists on jpgs coming from a variety of sources.  So perhaps your jpg is one of these and there is some sort of check going on that is referring to the file type and waiting on certain info in the file that doesn't appear...hence the timeout.

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023
On 5/21/2018 at 9:20 AM, Eugenio said:

The second email, I tried to attach a light file (191.2KB) or more weight (394.4KB) the result is equal, I get both mails but for the second I get the error of "Time Out". Why?

Is it COM  init block (visilogic like ) used for communication with modem?

Maybe RS232 timeout error generate "Time Out " message.

If RS232 timeout default settings is 0.5sec -  correct  long time transmission is impossible.

In visilogic is recomended to setup above 6sec timeout reply time. But i didn't find any suggestion for UniLogic .

@Ofir  I tried to send the two emails with the ethernet connection, with one file each,  two diffents ".jpg"; in the first the size of file is 395 KB in the second 1.5 MB.

There is no problem with of this connection type.

My modem doesn't work for this type of application. We will use another type.

Thanks