USB direct to PLC. Problem & Fix

With the new windows 10 update that rolled out; it breaks the USB to UART Bridge drivers.

If this happens, confirm that you have a yellow exclamation point in the device manager indicating that there is a driver issue.  If so, disconnect the PLC/USB cord from your PC, download the newest CP210x drivers from  Silicon Labs https://www.silabs.com/community/interface/knowledge-base.entry.html/2016/12/30/downloading_cp210xd-ek07. Unzip the new driver, right click on the yekkow exclmation point | select update driver |  Browse my computer for diver software | navigate to path of unzipped driver folder   | then "next" your way through the install.

NOTE: This is not for the USB to SERIAL. This is only for USB direct to the PLC.

• MVP 2023
8 hours ago, viscoelastic said:

Browse my computer for diver software

Hey Visco, isn't this what sharks love to do whilst cruising their coastlines, looking for "diver software"?...... Those lovely yummy things that also are a little bit crunchy on the inside!  Yum yum.  ??

cheers,

Aus

18 hours ago, Ausman said:

Hey Visco, isn't this what sharks love to do whilst cruising their coastlines, looking for "diver software"?...... Those lovely yummy things that also are a little bit crunchy on the inside!  Yum yum.  ??

cheers,

Aus

LMAO! I did not catch that. It's not a bad reference since with every Microsoft update; you do not know if it will sink or swim.

• MVP 2023

I have to keep a zoo of computers with old operating systems:
1) Siemens PG710 8086 CPU and MS-DOS 5.0 for simatic S5 cartridges.
2) P233 + Windows 95 for the old ROM programmer.
3) celeron 800 + win 98 for ABB robots,
4) fujitsu siemens IPP + WinXP - for all old servo, VFD, PLC, Jazz and M91.
5) core i5 + win10 - for the rest of the programs and drivers who can not swim.:)

Everyone except No. 5 does not need or is not updated at all, but it is always in work condition and bring benefits to me.

Microsoft update is small worm that must eat something for dinner.?

• MVP 2023

That is all so true Kratmel. 

I had a variety of very old Toshiba laptops for the same reason, but they all slowly had their screens fail.  I replaced them with other units I was able to pick up 2nd hand, and still use them to this day.

However, I have also had great success in using DosBox on my Win7 laptop.  With careful setup it operates all my DOS programs perfectly, all from the desktop.  Even to the point of using a usb-serial adapter.  So the old laptops are there as backups, but for the most part I can now do everything involving the older stuff I work with on the one laptop.

As for your comment that "Microsoft update is a small worm...."  it isn't a small one, it is a huge  one.  It consumes vast amounts of network resources (worldwide), changes things for change's sake, in doing so often creates ever more steps to arrive at where you want to go, and overall appears to be made and styled to cater only for the dumbos out there.  Whilst making it exceptionally difficult for those people who are actually capable of using a computer correctly to tailor it yet keep it as they want.  Every major update is essentially a complete reinstallation and it always breaks things, resetting a myriad of personally tailored settings.  Totally arrogant behaviour.

I'd love to see the M$oft execs' reaction to their BMW/Audi/RollsRoyce service centre constantly changing their engines, tyres, dash...entire car to something far different from what they originally purchased every time the dealership (without asking) took them in for a service!  "But it's now a T-model Ford".  "So what......it's what we have decided you need to have!"

End of rant.  ?

cheers,

Aus

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. Just want to leave this here incase it helps somebody. Because no one has specified this solution yet. 

Check the usb  serial adapter you are using to be able to know which DRIVER you need to install. Because I have been trying silicon labs and it does not work. Not knowing that I needed the driver for the adaptor. (I did not know it had to be specific to the adaptor's brand)

You can check your usb serial adapter by inserting it to to other pc's preferably ones with installed serial ports (incase the adapters label does not show it). And look at its description in the device manager. Now download the correct driver for it.