• MVP 2023

You didn't say what you wanted to do with the EXF-RC15, but check out the examples in Help->Examples->Version 900->Project Examples->Communications->EXF-RC15.

Yes, you connect it to the Vision with CANbus but keep in mind that the EXF-RC15 is actually a small PLC in itself.  CANbus is just used for data transfer between the module/PLC and the Vision.

You can have up to 64 nodes in a CANbus network.  I think this covers your requirement for "several".

Joe T.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:59 AM, Joe Tauser said:

You didn't say what you wanted to do with the EXF-RC15, but check out the examples in Help->Examples->Version 900->Project Examples->Communications->EXF-RC15.

Yes, you connect it to the Vision with CANbus but keep in mind that the EXF-RC15 is actually a small PLC in itself.  CANbus is just used for data transfer between the module/PLC and the Vision.

You can have up to 64 nodes in a CANbus network.  I think this covers your requirement for "several".

Joe T.

Thanks! Now its clear!

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2018 at 5:00 AM, Nikolay Kovalev said:

Dear all,

Could you please give explanation of one question: how can i use EXF-RC15? 

I should connect this module directly to PLC Vision via Canbus? 

Can I use a several EXF-RC15 modules with one Vision via Canbus?

Thank you in advance!

Nikolay.

Hi Nikolay,

How did it  go with your application?

I am going to start a application with the next equipment:

EX-A2X

IO-R016

EXF-RC15

V350-J-TRA22

Please you can share your experience with me. I have not found the document explaining how to communicate EXF-RC15 and V350-J-TRA22.

Thanks in adavance

• MVP 2023

@Yunchag-

Hopefully you have the equipment in hand to test your work.

Read the Help on how CANbus works if you haven't already.  Look at the example program for the EXF-RC15 as I posted above-

Help->Examples->Version 900->Project Examples->Communications->EXF-RC15.

Configure your V350 and EXF-RC15 programs to the best of your ability and post them here with an explanation of what you want the  -RC15 to do. 

Then we can help.

Joe T. 

• 3 years later...

Hey Joe,

I just need two additional encoders in my application (V700+V200-18-E4XB).  I decided to go with EXF-RC15. I also studied example programs, they are mainly about communication. I understood that EXF-RC15 is actually a PLC communicating with the main PLC by UniCAN. I could not find any information about it's speed and functionality as a PLC.

1) Can I use   _Interrupt HSC x,y routines for HSC, just like with V700?

2) Also _Interrupt 2.5 mS ? Or maybe _Interrupt 1.25 mS ?

3) UniCAN is fast. But I need to know what would be the the time frame (cycle time) for continuously sending and receiving say 20 MIs between EXF-RC15 and V700.

Many thanks in advance!

• MVP 2023
4 hours ago, Sremac said:

3) UniCAN is fast. But I need to know what would be the the time frame

This relates to how long and how well your connection performs, as well as actual scan times.  The spec is a total of 1024 bytes of data per scan, Visions at 32 bytes per message.  If you can run the link at 1Mb, I can't see it being more than a few scans at most to register correctly at the receiving end.  But if your cabling can only tolerate 20Kb, things might be slower.  I also suggest looking at the Help under UniCAN, the specific page CANbus UniCAN for more details, which also has info on controlling things for higher priority if needed.

Pls also note that you can gang up Unican sends, simply putting them one after the other on the ladder.

cheers, Aus

Thanks Aus,

in this case CAN cable is about 1 meter long, so communication speed would not be the problem.

Still remain the items 1) & 2), interrupts available or not on EXF-RC15? It would be also nice to know what kind of PLC you deal with while programming EXF-RC15, i.e. speed of processing 1K ladder for instance...

• MVP 2023

The CANbus port is serviced in the communication portion of the scan, so your update will be whatever the scan time in SI 0 is, typically a couple of milliseconds.  My gut is the Interrupts won't make any difference as the CANbus won't be serviced until the end of the scan anyway.

I typically call a CANbus function every 0.1 seconds and it works fine.  You could try hanging it on the rail with a couple of permissions-

image.png.e9c5a1cb5a33c0033282cdf0a1a64daf.png

It should work but I've never tried it.  According the the Help it can send 512 MIs every scan.

Give it a go.  You're not going to break it.  

Joe T.

Thanks Joe, sure I will test it as soon as it arrives. But my question about PLC power (speed) and interrupts are separated from CAN communication. As I understand, EXF-RC15 actually can be programmed to perform as a standalone PLC, I can connect counters and encoders and put some ladder logic based on inputs and outputs normally. For instance, it shold be possible to issue a command for make a preprogrammed number of pulses movement by triggering one input. Or dose something with a dosing screw (encoder as a Reload HSC). Then, it would be nice to have interrupt option to stop the movement by hardware interrupt and immediate output refreshing. Then I can connect this unit to a main PLC by UniCAN to set the number of pulses, or to trigger the preprogrammed execution instead of triggering the EXF_RC15 input. But the accuracy of moving or dosing would not depend on a PLC cycle or communication speed, because it is controlled by HW interrupt, OK?

So, finally, does EXF-RC15 support interrupts or not?

• MVP 2023
55 minutes ago, Sremac said:

So, finally, does EXF-RC15 support interrupts or not?

I tried to compile the program for such a module with an interrupt routine. Everything happened without errors. Therefore, interruptions are probably possible. However, I can't test it because I don't have such a module on my desk.