V700 and Invertek Optidrive E3 controlled via RS-485

Hi Everyone:

I am working on a project where I am trying to control an Invertek Optidrive E3 Single Phase VFD with a V700 via Modbus.  I have looked at several examples where people connected a V570 and V1210 to a Optidrive E2 with success.  From what I have been able to determine, the main functional difference between the E2 and E3 is that the E3 supports FC-16 and CANBus whereas the E2 only supports Modbus FC-3 and FC-6.  I'm new to Modbus but I figured that before I get into the weeds on getting help troubleshooting the ladder logic, I want to ensure that I have the interconnecting right.

I'm still trying to understand the proper cabling for communication between the V700 and the Optidrive.  According to the installation guide for the V700, the RJ-11 pinout is as follows:

1 - A signal (+)

2- 0V Reference

3 - TXD signal

4 - RXD signal

5 - 0V Reference

6- B signal (-)

According to the user's guide for the Optidrive, the RJ-45 pinouts are as follows:

1 - CAN -

2 - CAN+

3- 0V

4 - -RS485(PC)

5- +RS485(PC)

6- +24V

7- -RS485 (Modbus RTU)

8- +RS485(Modbus RTU)

I have made cables connecting pins V700 Pin 1 to E3 Pin 8 and V700 Pin 2 to E3 Pin 7 and V700 Pin 1 to E3 Pin 8 and V700 Pin 2 to E3 Pin 7.   I have the jumpers set for RS-485 with termination and the Optidrive  is set to accept control via Modbus.  So far neither of the cables is allowing communication. 

I appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Thank you very much sgull.  I double checked my cable and I had it wired correctly.  I made some tweaks in the ladder logic and was able to figure out the proper registers for the drive control and frequency.  (0 for drive control and 1 for frequency.)  

I was having timeout issues on the VFD so I set a FC-03 to read the speed output every second and now it doesn’t time out while running.  Now I just have to figure out how to control the VFD frequency via a PID loop.  The pump will control liquid being pumped through a heat exchanger.  I’m sure I’ll have more questions.  I appreciate the help.  

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...