Communication with Vision via Ethernet

• MVP 2023

Yes, go into INFO Mode and obtain (or set) the IP address of the PLC. Also note the PLC Name. Make sure your computer you are trying to connect with is on the same subnet as the PLC IP address, then use a crossover ethernet cable to connect. Do you need to know how to enter the needed details into VisiLogic?

• Like 1

• MVP 2023

In this context, the subnet is the first three triads of the IP address. For example, your PC may have the IP address 192.168.1.7. The subnet is 192.168.1.xxx. The PLC should have the first 3 numbers the same and the last number different from anything on that same subnet. The PLC could be set to 192.168.1.8. A simple internet search should provide the answer to how you determine the LAN IP address of your PC. The easiest way, I think, is to bring up a command prompt and enter the command, IPCONFIG. You want the IPv4 Address.

• MVP 2023
19 hours ago, Ausman said:

just put an ethernet switch in b/n the PC and the PLC, which then lets you use normal cables.

@Ausman, Is it possible to work with 6 panel with differnt IP connected to switch?

Change IP in visilogic make possible to use  point to point connection with one of them.

Now we have local network with 12 PC and only 6  V1040 panel for education with USB connection. Reconecting  USB port V1040 to PC in different position is problem.

Maybe network connection is best way to offer users posibility to use one of unused at that time panel without problem?
So installation Ethernet card to all V1040 and connect panel to local network  is a possible solution?

I mean the question: Will students be able to work in this case using the same switch (local network) for many point-to-point connections.

• MVP 2023

Yes, you should be able to do what you're suggesting. I'm not sure what happens when you try 2 simultaneous connections between 2 PCs and 1 V1040 PLC on different ports, but it should work. Regardless, you can connect all 12 PCs and the 6 V1040s to a large hub, assign different IP addresses to each PLC & PC (all on same subnet), then any PC can connect to any PLC by selecting the PLC in the drop-down box in the VisiLogic communications setting.

• MVP 2023

Thanks Flex727,

I must wait for Ethernet card. Then I will try this solution.
I think that there is another advantage of such a connection. The user may be in a different laboratory at all. Through the online connection it is possible to see what is happening on the screen and then the student can test some pieces of the code even when he can not be in the laboratory, it is enough to turn on the panel and connect to the corresponding network.

• MVP 2023

I think you'll have to be careful that you constantly have each plc assigned the correct address, which is best done via the program.  Because in your case it sounds like the program is being changed all the time ("students") which might be a spanner in the works.  You would  have to enforce that the same startup address ladderwork is used in every program being developed to ensure things stay correct across the network, with each plc therefore constantly having the same address. Especially so since you mention:  "turn on the panel" which means it will be going back to defaults unless the program sets the address.

cheers,

Aus